Cement floor for run, deep litter method, silkies

Our roofed coop/ run combination structure is on an old concrete floor, with deep bedding, and it's great. For a big run, properly draining dirt, with deep litter, works very well. It does need a dig-proof perimeter if the floor isn't concrete.
Your run, as shown, has a very shallow pitch, and half is running towards the building. This will not be good, with rain, or especially snow. Turn it so snow runs away from buildings, if possible, and consider snow load carefully. Will you be out there at 2am removing snow so it doesn't collapse?
I agree about the size, everything is small for the numbers you are planning to have. Especially the Silkies, who may not do well at all with the big birds, can't fly, and have difficulties with cold.
Mary
Well I have made it through the worst of winter. I extended my run, before fall but will be adding even more run area. All my birds have done well, no problem with silkies and larger breeds. I was however out shoveling snow off the roof 3 times. We have had a few big snow storms. We will be adding slanted roof and gutters this spring. I have gutters on the coop but not the covered pen.

Back
Top Bottom