Cement Run for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Does anyone have experience with a cement-floored run for thei ducks?

I was thinkging of doing this since it would be, cheap, predator safe, and much easier to clean.

I don't want it to hurt their feet though, but it will have shavings on it.

I am also hoping, since I have Muscovies that it will help keep their nails worn down and not so dangerously sharp.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Should be okay with shavings covering it! Definitely safer than dirt.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I would certainly understand someone doing it that way. I wonder if I would put a small slab, surrounded with a field drain, covered in limestone and have the feeding ben and small wading pool over the slab, if I could keep things relatively clean. Then I figure the yard wouldn't be all muddy.

4. thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer

thenewbckyrdchicknfrmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Toms River, New Jersey
    ive had my ducks on a cement pad for about a year maybe less. it was okay, i never had any foot problems, there was some hay on one corner so they could get to soft ground when they wanted. mainly there pool was on cement. cleaning was alot easier but the only downside is that it doesnt drain. even though the pad was on an angle, there was still some low spots and water gathered and just sat there. and it the winter there would be ice patches and the ducks would slip on them. but i think if you put shavings down it would be fine for them

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine LOVE our cement driveway! [​IMG] It does wear down their nails since they are ALWAYS on it. [​IMG] That said, if it's going to be their pen, I'd think about leaving at least a portion of it dirt or as R_B suggested, have some with limestone on it or small gravel, sand.... you get the picture. If it does ice up in the winter, you can throw some non-slip barn lime on it and it works really well for tractsion &&&&& it's cheap. ($1.99 for 50-lbs)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by