Central Coast California

Hey guys! Anyone else from Morro Bay/ Los Osos? Chickens seem to be the new trend around here. I'm totally excited to start my own little flock this spring (seriously, I have dreams about chickens!). I've been setting up a backyard garden for over a year, getting into the sustainable lifestyle. I can attest that artichokes do love it here!!

I'm particularly fascinated with a colorful egg basket: Marans, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers (Barnevelders also have my eye). I know Farm Supply, Cal Poly and some local Feed and Grain places will have chicks in the spring, but will I be able to find some of these breeds there? Anyone know of some local chicks of the sort that will be available anytime soon?

I'm definitely a newbie here. Thanks for the cool info so far!

Quote:
Hi, Welcome! We live between Atascadero and Morro Bay on the Highway 41 canyon. Just yesterday on Santa Rosa in Atascadero on the way to get on highway 101 someone had let their chickens out to free range in the lawn. Great fun to see.

Quote:
Hi, I got my chicks at Atascadero Feed. I got 2 americaunas (actually Easter Eggers), 2 RIR, and 2 goldens. My easter eggers lay a green egg. I was at Atascadero Feed right before Thanksgiving and they had black baby chicks - I didn't look to see what kind just thought they were cute. So if you ask around you should be able to find some chicks even now.

Although we are inbetween Atascadero and Morro Bay, my daughter is in the Morro Bay 4H. You will love the chickens. Even my husband who was somewhat suspect of the whole thing likes to see the chickens free range in the backyard.

Quote:
Wow! I'm so excited to hear that there are local Marans and Olive Eggers!
big_smile.png
I will definitely desire one of each in maybe January/February? I'm still undecided about getting chicks or pullets. I think it might be necessary to have them sexed seeing as a roo will not be cool in my neighborhood (even though I really wanted chicks!)

Anyone know of the laws for poultry in Los Osos? It's not technically a city so I noticed theyre not posted on the SLO county gov't website like all the others.

Quote:
Wow! I'm so excited to hear that there are local Marans and Olive Eggers!
big_smile.png
I will definitely desire one of each in maybe January/February? I'm still undecided about getting chicks or pullets. I think it might be necessary to have them sexed seeing as a roo will not be cool in my neighborhood (even though I really wanted chicks!)

Anyone know of the laws for poultry in Los Osos? It's not technically a city so I noticed theyre not posted on the SLO county gov't website like all the others.

tongue.png

I just hatched chicks and have some Olive Egger pullets on any other breeds I have you can't tell for 6 weeks or so. I will have turkey poults too soon just PM me as I have young hens laying right now of Marans breeding just project birds lay dark eggs just not suitable for my breeding program.

Central coast BYC followers I have three chickens I need to re-home not sure of the breed. Two are possible roosters the other is not known yet maybe hen. I live in Atascadero, California. These three are free . I will send a picture if interested

Back
Top Bottom