ceramic heater in coop anyone ever try it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nightshade, Nov 25, 2011.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

okay so home depot has ceramic heaters on sale for $20 every tells me they are really cheap to run but wont heat a large space so here was my thought. Would one work in my coop to keep the waterer from freezing and the girls happy this winter. I need to look into them a little more and see if they can be set to keep a temp of like 35-40 , just enough to keep the water from freezing. But the way I am currently looking at it they have to be cheaper to run then a heat lamp over the roost and a 60 watt bulb in concrete blocks under the waterer to keep it from freezing up. What do you all think is this crazy or could it actually work?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Skip the heat. I use heated dog bowls for water and no heat at all, and I'm in the northeast also. Even into double negative temps, all was fine.

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think it would work well and it's not crazy. I use an electric heater. Takes the edge off the winter cold, and keeps the water thawed.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by