Cerebellar Hypoplasia or Cerebellar Abiotrophy? Seizures, loss of motor control, only one breed in t

jasondean

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2016
I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be done, but wanted to put this out there and see what people knew.

Just bought 16 easter eggers, and 6 golden cross. Within 12 hours of arriving (48 hours from time of shipping) 3 of the White Easter Eggers had loss motor control, would only walk backwards, were having seizures a couple times an hour and eventually died. In between seizures (if the break was long enough) they would become semi coherent and try to drink if I held them at the water (they couldn't stand to do it them self). The only safe position for them was on their back. If their feet were on the ground they would kick until they were peddling in the air. It's now about 26 hours post delivery and lost another white easter egger. I'm hoping it's genetic and won't go to the others as it's way to late to separate them at this point. I thought one of the darker colored easter eggers was starting to show signs about 10 hours ago, but haven't seen any progression so I think she was just drowsy and stumbled a bit.

The only thing I could find that was similar to this was the 2 listed in the title. But there was only one article I could find that spoke about it in chickens. Anyone have experience with this and can tell me what to expect going forward? I'm worried about my 8 larger girls that are 10 weeks. I make a habit of frequent hand washing etc, but they are free range and I opened the box on the raised deck above the back yard where they roam when the shipment came in.
Again, any insight is appreciated.
Hope yall are enjoying summer!
Jason

Welcome to BYC. Exactly how old are they? If they were day old chicks shipped, it is probably shipping stress with dehydration, being overheated or too cold, or with rough handling. If they were older, then heat this time of year, and going without water for 2 days can really do a number on growing chicks. flipping on the back is a typical sign. Giving water with electrolytes and vitamins (SaveAChick, Durvet, ect) as often as possible by dipping beaks or with a dropper is about all you can do. Keep them warm according to their age in a brooder with a heat lamp, check their vents for pasting up, and teaching them to find food. Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell are good products that can be used undiluted 1 ml per every 3 pounds of weight daily. Hopefully most of your chicks will survive. Here is an interesting series of articles by vets and shipping stress:
http://www.upc-online.org/transport/71408shippingbirds.html

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Exactly how old are they? If they were day old chicks shipped, it is probably shipping stress with dehydration, being overheated or too cold, or with rough handling. If they were older, then heat this time of year, and going without water for 2 days can really do a number on growing chicks. flipping on the back is a typical sign. Giving water with electrolytes and vitamins (SaveAChick, Durvet, ect) as often as possible by dipping beaks or with a dropper is about all you can do. Keep them warm according to their age in a brooder with a heat lamp, check their vents for pasting up, and teaching them to find food. Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell are good products that can be used undiluted 1 ml per every 3 pounds of weight daily. Hopefully most of your chicks will survive. Here is an interesting series of articles by vets and shipping stress:  
http://www.upc-online.org/transport/71408shippingbirds.html

They were day old when shipped so 48 to 72 hours depending exactly on when they were born, but whats making me thing genetic is its only the white colored ones of the easter eggers that are doing this. I went through the proper process when unpacking of butt checkong and beak dipping and followed that up with playing with a laser thermometer to lead them back to food and water while temping the heat lamp setting. I hope its just shipping stress. But they initially all looked fine when they arrived as far as motor function (walking fine) and then quickly degraded. I'll have to read the Article later and touch base again. Thank you for thr link.

Many people here on BYC report that only certain breeds seem to suffer from this type of stress in shipping when having a problem. So, that may be a sign of a weak hatch of that particular breed from the hatchery that particular week.

That eases my worries a bit. Just frustrating for a number of reasons. Did as much research as someone can do before learning from experience. First batchI ever bought had 1 die from "Failure to Thrive". While all the other chicks were gaining 4 to 7 grams of weight a day, this one would only gain 1 to 2 and eventually just went to sleep on day 7. The largest one in that group went from 60 grams to 88 grams the day after the littet died. (Yes I was weighing them all nightly) The next day "biggest" choked to death. Likely over filled crop and impinged airway. And now Ive got 4 more (at least) dieing from poor shipping it would seem. These were not "packed" as the first batch which came with 22 in a single chamber and progel (I think its called) for the chicks to eat on the way and a heat pack. This batch had a 2 compartment box with 11 on each side and no heat pack and the standard "lots of holes" type box. USPS is normally under 70 degrees in the back shipping area (I ship hundreds of packages a month for my herb/spice ebay biz so they have me drop off in the back daily).

Anyway, a bit of a ramble. Just disappointed to have such failures on the first 2 batches. Is losing 6 of 44 normal? Im not home right now so I dont know if Ive lost more due to "regular" failure to thrive type conditions. And my wife, whos was realistic and new their would be the occasional loss but was really excited to raise baby chicks both times, has been overwhelmed by trying to help these last 4 (despite me trying to keep her away from the situation) and is no longer wanting anything to do with chickens because of the heartbreak and wont "let" me order anymore for the forseeable future.

Alln all, just feels like a really overly rough start. Does it ever happen that you can order 15 or 20 and have them all survive?

Thanks again for the replies and info. I knew there wouldbe things I wasnt prepared for no matter how much prep I did, but hoped I'd be a little bit luckier than this.

Many people here on BYC report that only certain breeds seem to suffer from this type of stress in shipping when having a problem.  So, that may be a sign of a weak hatch of that particular breed from the hatchery that particular week.

Forgot to tag you in my reply.

Just lost what is hopefully the last one. Total of 8 out of 22 dead. It eventually did start happening to both breeds that were shipped so it may have just been chance that the first few were all the same breed. Had a couple that I managed to actually turn around and bring out of the normal tailspin. Think I'll start hatching my own in the future. Not having any control over their conditions for the first few days just adds to many variables. So I guess I'll have to get better at sexing. :)

A few years back i had those symptoms on three different birds. One could only walk backward, had seziures, would actually do summersaults and had tortolosis(spelling?). At any rate it turned out all three cases were wry neck and with a lot of patience and treatment they did recover. It took a full 4 weeks. I treated with prednisone for brain swelling, vitamin B, vitamin E , multi liquid childrens vitamin w/o iron, and selenium in small amounts.(large amounts can be toxic) your symptoms reminded me of my girls. They didnt have it at the same time but over the course of that year the 3 got it. If it IS the same it can be cured. I had to help mine drink and eat until they could do it on their own again. I hope this helps. Anytime you deal with brain swelling in chickens, whatever the cause may be,ive found prednisone works well to bring swelling down. However the bird must be slowly weened off the prednisone, they cant just stop abruptly. It is a powerful steroid so can have side effects with long term use but used carefully it can also work wonders! Best wishes and do hope this helps.

A few years back i had those symptoms on three different birds. One could only walk backward, had seziures, would actually do summersaults and had tortolosis(spelling?). At any rate it turned out all three cases were wry neck and with a lot of patience and treatment they did recover. It took a full 4 weeks. I treated with prednisone for brain swelling, vitamin B, vitamin E , multi liquid childrens vitamin w/o iron, and selenium in small amounts.(large amounts can be toxic) your symptoms reminded me of my girls. They didnt have it at the same time but over the course of that year the 3 got it. If it IS the same it can be cured. I had to help mine drink and eat until they could do it on their own again. I hope this helps. Anytime you deal with brain swelling in chickens, whatever the cause may be,ive found prednisone works well to bring swelling down. However the bird must be slowly weened off the prednisone, they cant just stop abruptly. It is a powerful steroid so can have side effects with long term use but used carefully it can also work wonders! Best wishes and do hope this helps.

It seems what ever it was is over. Lost 8 of 22. I have some predizone left over I could have used but it would have been difficult to doze correctly. At any rate, put this in the experience pool to pulk from next time. :(

I have had good luck with shipped birds, but I use the closest one to me. They ship in the late afternoon, and I receive them the next morning. I would avoid the hot days of the summer, and the early months of the year because of cold weather. For me, late March through May works well, and then if some ship in SepT-Oct, those would be good months. I wish you well with the rest of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom