1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Certified Chicken Addict!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Foxs Fowl Farm, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Foxs Fowl Farm

Foxs Fowl Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    Waddell, Arizona
    Hello everyone.

I have used this forum many times over the 2 1/2 years t since my chicken addiction started. I thank all of you that contribute information and knowledge for all of us to use.

I have added the culprit that started it all, as my avatar. Marvin, my blue/lavender Salmon Faverolle. He came from a flock of regular Salmon Faverolles. He fooled the breeder to his sex. He sold himself off as a pullet. I paid a little more for the rascal but it all worked out. He is a beautiful guy. Many are intrigued by his size and the breed. I have been offered a "Name your Price" for him. I can't put a price on him. My ladies are pretty, fluffy and bearded. I have had many blue/lavender cockerel offspring.

The breeder roosters he came from had black chests, bellies and tails. I am not sure how the genes work to get his coloring. However it happened, I am happy to have him as part of my flock.

I have many different breeds of chickens that free range together. I am concentrating on breeds that aren't common for our area. Lavender Orpingtons, BBS Copper Marans, Swedish Flower and Coronation Sussex. Of course my Salmon Faverolles too.

I have a shipment of Chocolate Orpingtons on their way. They are supposed to be larger than the bantam breed. I am eager to try for these as well. I am watching some silkie auctions and am always interested in coloring of the birds as well as health. I don't show birds. This is a hobby, a passion and a love for chickens. I didn't know this is the direction wanting fresh farm eggs would take me. I am loving the heck out of it though.
    I have found my Lav Orps are weaker compared to my flock. I have researched the culling may partake in the weakness of their health. Most cull for color and feathering and this can take a toll on the birds healthy gene pool. Dunno. Love the color and breed. I will see how I fair with selling once they get breeding.

I sell chicken and duck eggs locally and sell fertile hatching duck eggs on an online auction site. All of these ventures are doing well.

I could go on and on about my journey. In fact I did and the site timed me out. I lost all of my introduction, er uh novel. I get a little carried away.

I have learned so much since I started. I am eager to share and meet fellow chicken lovers/addicts or whatever you call yourself.

Shannon

1 person likes this.
  2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Foxs Fowl Farm

Nov 24, 2013
    Waddell, Arizona
    Thank you. I was just looking at all of your chickens. Pretty. Trying to navigate this forum. Now that I'm a member I have to learn.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Shannon, welcome to BYC - sounds as if you have plenty of poultry projects.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Foxs Fowl Farm

Nov 24, 2013
    Waddell, Arizona

Thank you so much. I am very excited to be part of the conversation. The community is great.

9. Foxs Fowl Farm

Nov 24, 2013
    Waddell, Arizona
    I meant to extend this out to everyone that has welcomed me.
    [​IMG]I love these emocons!!!!

Re: Sourland-Yes I have many projects. I have found this to be one of my most enjoyable hobbies EVER! Of course I would love for my birds to help pay for themselves. This is not a cheap hobby by any means.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by