certified nut job cat

We have a cat who was once just like this. He belonged to my grandmother and aunt. When my grandmother passed, Jin was alone for long periods of time because my aunt traveled a lot. My parents lived in an in law suite downstairs and and would feed him, but he was scary so they mostly left him alone. He became flat out nasty, inflicting terrible wounds on both my mom and aunt. They were going to have him put down because he was unpredictable and dangerous. I knew he was just terribly lonely. Loneliness does terrible things to both people and animals. I wanted to give him a shot.

We talked them into sending him to us. I work from home, so spent a lot of time with him. He also had other cats and dogs to be around. When he got aggressive, I put him in room by himself. Eventually, he seemed to realize that he’d get a lot more attention when he wasn’t nasty. It took about 6 months of consistent behavior modification to “fix” him. I think we were lucky since I could be home with him, but my aunt thinks I’m a cat whisperer. We’ve had him for 10 years now with no other behavioral issues.

Wow, that's impressive!

I am a crazy cat lady who rescues feral cats. We have had very rare instances of overstimulation biting when my husband didn't know when to stop petting. Cat bites, even teeny tiny ones that are almost invisible, are extremely dangerous and can cause blood poisoning--as my husband discovered. So I would continue to armor yourself. And frankly, if this is the cat's stress reaction, I think it would be safer to euthanize than to risk such grave harm, especially since it appears that its future in terms of life stressors, does not look bright given the wife's mental health situation and your son's job. There are too many lovely cats needing homes to risk life and limb with this cat.

I agree. It scares the beejeesus out of me to think that Sassy might attack my son's wife if she ever comes home. Or my son, for that matter. I've heard that the cats are now separated in their new, temporary home. :rolleyes: But, neither my son or his wife are likely to listen to anything I suggest, unfortunately.

[
But don’t you agree that since dil’s father has the cats now, whether to euthanize that particular cat should be up to the son and dil? Can you imagine coming home from a work trip or the hospital and finding out someone decided to kill your cat?

Absolutely. I would never do that. It's their decision what to do with her. I do kind of wish that they would bring the other cat back to her real home..i'm not sure which is more stressful, her being there in a totally new environment, or at her real home where she'd be alone except for the guinea pigs and me, an hour or so a day. The F.I.L. did not bring any of the cat's food bowls, toys, or even a piece of the owner's clothing to give them any comfort or sense of security. It makes me so sad.

I didn't read your posts as carefully as I should have. Sorry. I was just throwing stuff at the wall hoping something might help. It sounds like you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation. I do not envy you. I also don't know what I would do in your shoes either. I thought about catnip but that might make a bad situation even worse. Sometimes it calms and sometimes it makes an aggressive cat even more so.
We tried catnip, too.....:hmm

Since the DIL isn’t there couldn’t it be true that the cat is triggering off of YOU? For cat behavior problems check out Jackson Galaxy at Jacksongalaxy.com. He works miracles with cats.

And I’d like to give you something to think about. Your dil isn’t mentally ill on purpose and isn’t sick to do something to you. Anyone who is hospitalized frequently and for a duration needs to be there. Most people get two days. This is the woman your son chose to marry. That’s the way it is. If you need to, imagine she has a broken leg and can’t come home yet. If you continue to have problems with the cat, you might consider boarding it.

Sorry, but you don't know the whole situation. There are a LOT of people who think that yes, she is being "mentally ill" on purpose. She cannot handle the thought of being a wife, so she has said publicly, and she has said many things publicly on social media that cause doubt in a lot of people's minds about what is truly going on with her. And yet it was her that wanted my son to buy this house and hounded him until he proposed to her. It's very hard not to think that she is just looking for a free ride. She's truly a piece of work. I have to try to get along with her and her family for my son's sake, but he is my son and he does not deserve this. She is like a totally different person than before he proposed to her, and right now he's totally concentrating on his career and his military obligations because he has no choice, so I'm sure he has been caught off guard. nuff said about that, since this thread is about the cats.

And thanks for the info but really it's no longer my problem with the cat. I'm not boarding it or taking it back or doing anything with that cat. I'd like to try to give the other cat some love and attention, which is why I wish they'd bring her home.

Last edited:
I simply don’t understand someone having so much compassion for a cat and so little for a human being who is suffering. Maybe being a wife to your son has undone her. I know this isn’t really my business but I feel for her. I feel for the stress your son is under. It’s clear to me that you don’t understand anything about mental illness and neither do her friends or acquaintances that infer things from Facebook. What matters is what her doctors say and apparently they say she belongs in the hospital.

As for the cats maybe they are better off together than separated. Maybe you’re the one that doesn’t “get it”? I’m fascinated that you see one cat as acceptable (your son) and one as batshit crazy (your dil). And now that both cats are being cared for you can’t back out and let the situation alone. That, to me, is crazy.

Last edited:
I simply don’t understand someone having so much compassion for a cat and so little for a human being who is suffering. Maybe being a wife to your son has undone her. I know this isn’t really my business but I feel for her. I feel for the stress your son is under. It’s clear to me that you don’t understand anything about mental illness and neither do her friends or acquaintances that infer things from Facebook. What matters is what her doctors say and apparently they say she belongs in the hospital.

As for the cats maybe they are better off together than separated. Maybe you’re the one that doesn’t “get it”? I’m fascinated that you see one cat as acceptable (your son) and one as batshit crazy (your dil). And now that both cats are being cared for you can’t back out and let the situation alone. That, to me, is crazy.

OK, let me tell you up front. YOU have no idea what you are talking about as you are a complete stranger, neither do you have any idea what our family is going through or what kind of compassion I do or do not have. As far as that goes, I have been nothing but supportive to this woman, and she has mentioned THAT on social media as well. So you';re right...mind your own business, because what you're doing is trolling. See?? I simply mentioned her condition because there is no doubt in anyone's mind on this end, including hers, that the circumstances we are going through contributed to the cat's behavior. I don't need your advice about the cat.

Back
Top Bottom