1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CFL's vs. Incandescents

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Stephen in SoKY, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone researched the use of CFL's to keep hens in lay? I seem to recall issues with flourescent lighting, but I'm uncertain what they were. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. homeandbarnbasics

homeandbarnbasics Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2008
    Tallassee, AL
    I use 12 volt florescent lights in my coop with no problems. I have a solar system on the coop thus the 12 volt lights. I did a temporary install on the old coop as I was building the new one. It is the first time I have used florescent lights, but seems to be doing the job. This winter, with the shorter days, will really be the test though. Hens are laying fine. The new coop will be finished this week and I will be installing a permanent solar / florescent lighting system.

3. pozarnsk

pozarnsk Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Turtle Lake, ND
    Just keep in mind you won't get any heat out of those CFL's if that is a need for you. I'm from ND, so you won't see them in my coup. [​IMG] I need all the BTUs I can get.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I use CFL's because heat isn't an issue.

If you plan to hook up to a solar charger/battery combo, too, CFL's are the way to go.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    CFLs don't stand up to cold well unless they're specifically for use outside. Or so the last box I got said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by