1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chain Link Fence for Runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by preacher1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. preacher1

preacher1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    My 5 year old and I are just now getting started with chickens. We expect our first pullets the first of May. We will be getting around 8 to 12 pullets. I'm working on designing my coop and run. I have some 6' tall chain link fence, some post and a gate that someone has given me. Will the chain link fence work ok for the run? I was a little concerned about the opening sizes in the chain link. I also plan to put either netting or build a top over the run. Is it necesary to have a covering if the fence is 6' tall? Thanks

2. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    Hi,

Chain link fencing will work just fine for a run. My pen is made out of the 10' portable sections of fencing for dog kennels. Just run chickenwire around the inside of the pen to keep chicken heads from poking through and getting chewed off by the local predators.

And I would definately cover the top of your pen/run. Coons are great climbers. [​IMG] Plus it will keep the hawks from divebombing your fowl.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    You may want to use 1/4" hardware cloth around the bottom half of the chain link so that no predator can reach in and grab one of the birds.

4. crystal

crystal New Egg

Apr 12, 2007
    We're using a chain link dog run for the chickens as well and plan on using 1/2" hardware cloth at the bottom. But how about the floor of the run? I was going to use chicken wire underneath to prevent rats from digging under (warned by neighbors) but a friend said rats can chew through chicken wire. But putting 1/2" hardware cloth down the entire run is quite expensive. What are others doing for the floor of their run?

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I use 5' chain link in my yard where the chickens are aloud to roam. I don't have a cover but I don't really have a problem with predation where I live so its not really needed, but i would suggest puting one on if you can just to be safe. I don't have any thing on the bottom either but I suggest using it to keep more predators out and to keep chicks in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by