Chainlink chicken Run

Farmeresq

Hatching
May 3, 2017
This is my first year with chickens and I am in the process of building their coop.

I have an old 10x10 chainlink dog kennel that I plan on using for the run. I was going to build the coop outside of the pen and cut a small hole in the chainlink for the chickens to exit and enter the coop.

Any ideas on how to secure the chain link to the coop so no predetors can get in? Some nights I can't get home until well after dark and want to make sure they are safe if the coop is not closed.

Has anyone built a similar style coop and run? If so, pictures would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Fence staples

Last edited:
I'm doing something similar, when we bought the property last year it had a dog run made of 4'x8' chain link panel, I'm going to take these and stand them on end to make a run 8 feet high but I don't have the problem of connecting to the coop but if I did here's what I would do. Build two wooden frames exactly alike, lets say with a 12" opening, bolt these to your chain-link and sandwich the mesh between them using hex bolts or carriage bolts. Once it's good and tight clip the mesh within the opening, this will keep the mesh from coming apart.

Pictures aren't great from my vantage point, but I cut a hole in the chain link with bolt cutters and sandwiched the wire between a wood frame, then connected to the coop via a box tunnel. You might not need to get so complicated. Just remember chain link won't keep out weasels or grabby raccoon paws.

Back
Top Bottom