Chainlink kennel panels for run fencing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grullablue, May 7, 2008.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I don't plan on having any chicks (and could modify the bottom with chickenwire down the road I suppose if I decided to,) but do many people use chainlink panels for runs? I have some already, so it woudln't be a huge expense for me, but I've seen a lot of pictures of your runs, and haven't seen many kennel panels. Not sure if it's due to cost/availability, or if there are reasons I'm not aware of. Can they get their heads stuck in the holes?

I'm not sure what I have, but they look to be leghorns.
    www.glacierridge.com/chickens

Would chickenwire across the top be enough of a predator deterrent then?

Thank you!
    Angie

2. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
  3. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. Personally I am using a garden wire that has holes around 1 1/2" x 3" opening. They have 'always' stuck their heads through and been just fine. I was even thinking that that would make a great run the other day when someone on another site was mentioning it. I'd be curious to find out if it would be good or not too, if anyone has tried it that is.

As for the predators. I think it just depends. My run isn't covered and we do have to worry about racoons, possums, rats, squirrels and the like. BUT. I live in a neighborhood and I also have dogs that go out in our backyard every three to four hours to go 'potty' and I've yet to have problems other than the odd crow trying to start a fight for the food, or bluejay. They have yet to get away with it though [​IMG] The chickens stand their ground well [​IMG] I don't know about anyone elses, but my girls have always been pretty brave and had no problems standing up to squirrels - the squirrels and animals actually are afraid to come near the chicken area sometimes and run as fast as they can to get past it - hehe

Though, with yours I guess you'd have to worry about hawks and such too, so I can't say for that. Someone else will have to input on that one.

4. kisat

kisat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Washington State
    Oh my goodness I love that coop! I love how they made the opening to close off the main area while allowing you to go and come to clean [​IMG] Pretty cool.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I use chainlink panels. They are also covered in hardware cloth at the bottom and a layer of chicken wire dug in too.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got some dog panels that I use....wish I had more! They're easier to set up and move if I need to than my permanent pens!!

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  7. CountryBumpkinsofLumpkin

CountryBumpkinsofLumpkin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Our entire enclosure is made from dog kennel fencing. I picked it all up from 2 sellers on Craigslist. The hen house is covered with rough cut lumber and tin roofing. We secured 3' chicken wire around the base of the run and the front. We still have 8 kennel panels left to add to 'Fort Clucks'.

have a blessed night!
    Mike & Elizabeth

http://www.lovinglifeindahlonega.blogspot.com/

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I have a chicken run from salvaged chain link...very sturdy! Best of all, I got it for free! I now have a run that is approx. 65 ft. x 10 ft. with wonderful gates. [​IMG]

9. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    I used the dog panels for my run. They are great since you can move them if necessary. Mine are now completely covered on top and sides with pvc chicken wire. I was having trouble with hawks and I worried about them squeezing in through the sides. Pictures of mine are on my BYC website towards the bottom of the page. I have to update them to show the added wire though.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My concern with chain link is that my own dog ripped ours apart like it wasn't there. She was a 100 lb. plus dog but when she wanted out ... she literally just tore up the sides.

I like MissPrissy's idea of adding the hardware cloth around the bottom. I think that would have kept my dog from destroying our kennel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by