Challenging or Flirting??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenkassai, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    My Sebright roo Smidge is definitely getting to the age where he is trying to boss the girls around. Among other behaviors, a few times I have noticed him stretch his wing towards the ground and flick it with his foot. I can't tell if he is challenging the hen that he's doing it to, or flirting with her / showing off for her. Most of the hens ignore him, some downright bully him back if he tries to push them around (hens are all LF). Sometimes when he does this they stretch their necks up at him and act like they are going to peck him, other times they just ignore him. Sometimes (depending on the hen, right now anyways!) he backs off, and sometimes he puffs back up at them and they do some chest bumping. So I'm not sure if they are just rebuffing an amorous advance, or answering a challenge [​IMG]

I suppose it's not that important, I'm just curious [​IMG] LOVE to watch animal behavior and learn how they communicate with each other (and us!).

Thanks!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh, he's dancing for them, what a good boy! Dropping one wing and skittering up to them sideways is a courting behavior a good roo does for his ladies, vs just grabbing their neck for a "wham bam thank you ma'am". He's flirting.

3. jenkassai

Apr 28, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG] Poor little guy, most of the girls just ignore him when he tries to act all "roostery" [​IMG] I think he is definitely going to get a complex. I have watched him do the "Hey, I found some food over here" thing, and not one girl paid attention to him! I HAVE seen him grab one or two by the neck as well. Must be all those hormones kicking in now, and a couple of the girls are starting to squat. So entertaining, interesting, and educational to watch!!

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    My roo "flirts" with my dog.

Poor dog.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is both a challenge and a flirt. I do not think the rooster distiguishes between the two thought processes until target (individual he is displaying to) gives a response.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. Oldsters call this action "cutting a wing". The girly girls on this sight have labled it a dance. Whatever you call it, it`s both a challenge and a flirt. Just don`t tollerate the little dickens doing it to you.......Pop

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My roo did this to a towel that fell off the line [​IMG]

I definitely think it's a flirting behaviour. I haven't seen my roo do this as a challenge. My girls don't usually pay any attention to him. They squat for me, but not for him. I don't let my roos mate when I'm around. It's out of respect. Those are MY girls.

I don't have a lot of roosters to worry about, so it's relatively easy to stop just one from doing it in front of me [​IMG]

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My boy flirts, and if that doesn't work (it almost never does since most of the girls are too young) then he tries just grabbing the neck. I think they're right, it's both a flirt and a challenge, depending on how it's taken.

He doesn't do that to me any more, but he will offer me a cigarette butt if there's one around when I'm close by. I have got to quit smoking if even the rooster has noticed I like those things so much that they'd make a great offering LOL. He doesn't offer them to his girls, only me. I've sat and watched for hours. They all know they're not food and won't eat them. I tell him he's a nice boy and keep walking haha.

9. jenkassai

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:I agree. Oldsters call this action "cutting a wing". The girly girls on this sight have labled it a dance. Whatever you call it, it`s both a challenge and a flirt. Just don`t tollerate the little dickens doing it to you.......Pop

Thanks Pop!!

10. jenkassai

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] The picture of your roo offering you a cigarette butt is HILARIOUS!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by