Change in roosting habits?

lsingy

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
My 2 chickens that I've raised from chicks, have always returned to their roost/hutch to sleep. They free range in my protected back yard. The last 2 nights they refuse to go to their roost, just preferring to hang on the back porch. I cannot understand such drastic change in their behaviour? Why all of sudden are thy not going home to roost at night time? Anyone else experience this? They free range in my protected back yard, but this major change has me concerned... any thoughts or experience with this is so welcome, thanks. They are two years old.

Well, they do sleep in a predator proof hutch, my small yard has 9 foot fences and 2 pit bulls who love them. They free range on the patio, and the yard is covered with thick trees. My other 2 chickens I had before them, lived there for 8 and 9 years, dying a natural death. Nothing is coming in that yard unless something at night tries to climb the fence at night while they are in there hutch. It was just those 2 nights they did not want to go their hutch/roost,(but I put them in there) and I over reacted.... They went in last night. So they are much safer than many of my friends chickens who seem to loose them to a racoon or other such thing...while they are contained in their small fenced pen with cover. I did loose a chicken who ate a black widow once. So I respectfully disagree. But thank you for your wonderful post. So uplifting. LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom