Change Ordinance In Lemont, IL

I persevered and got an ordinance change in my city.
Several members of our local chicken group and I have worked on this in several area cities. We failed in two, succeeded in four, successfully expanded the number allowed in one and prevented reduction of numbers allowed in another.
What have you done so far?
Have you or any of your neighbors came afowl of the law yet?

I wanted to change the ordinance in Lemont, IL to allow for backyard chickens. Has anyone worked on this change in the past. I know in unincorporated Lemont it's okay but not in Lemont proper.
Where is the ordinance for this? I could not find anything on chickens, fowl, or poultry in the village ordinance. We are thinking of moving there down the road so I looked into it but all I could find on it was your post.

I wanted to change the ordinance in Lemont, IL to allow for backyard chickens. Has anyone worked on this change in the past. I know in unincorporated Lemont it's okay but not in Lemont proper.
Get chickens anyway and if anyone complains, take them to court.

Hi MyChick2018. I am one of the science teachers in Lemont who hatches quail in the classroom. This year, we were told we are no longer allowed to do this because of the school's insurance reasons. This was a huge blow to our students and families who have loved this program and look forward to this. We were also told we are not allowed to adopt out the quail to families because it violates Lemont's city ordinances. This is what I found on Lemont's Code of Ordinances web page https://library.municode.com/il/lemont/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=LEILMUCO

6.04.150. - Baby animals and birds.

(a)

No person shall display, sell, offer for sale, barter or give away any chicks, ducklings or goslings as pets, unless the recipient has proper brooder facilities. It is unlawful for any person to give away any such animals as novelties or prizes.

(b)

Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit legitimate commerce in poultry for agricultural or food purposes.

According to this document (and this was all I found, but there may be more I didn't find), Lemont does not define poultry in their regulations. I did a search for chickens and did not find any link to the keeping of chickens in Lemont in this document. Again, there might be another code or document I am missing, but for my purposes of keeping quail in my classroom, they do not violate city code. Since I am not giving them away as novelties or prizes and persons adopting the quail have adequate brooder facilities, this also doesn't seem legitimate. I know that many of my parents have asked if they can have chickens in Lemont. I will encourage you to ask the Village of Lemont to provide the documentation in their ordinances that specifies this directly.

Hi MyChick2018. I am one of the science teachers in Lemont who hatches quail in the classroom. This year, we were told we are no longer allowed to do this because of the school's insurance reasons. This was a huge blow to our students and families who have loved this program and look forward to this. We were also told we are not allowed to adopt out the quail to families because it violates Lemont's city ordinances. This is what I found on Lemont's Code of Ordinances web page https://library.municode.com/il/lemont/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=LEILMUCO

6.04.150. - Baby animals and birds.

(a)

No person shall display, sell, offer for sale, barter or give away any chicks, ducklings or goslings as pets, unless the recipient has proper brooder facilities. It is unlawful for any person to give away any such animals as novelties or prizes.

(b)

Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit legitimate commerce in poultry for agricultural or food purposes.

According to this document (and this was all I found, but there may be more I didn't find), Lemont does not define poultry in their regulations. I did a search for chickens and did not find any link to the keeping of chickens in Lemont in this document. Again, there might be another code or document I am missing, but for my purposes of keeping quail in my classroom, they do not violate city code. Since I am not giving them away as novelties or prizes and persons adopting the quail have adequate brooder facilities, this also doesn't seem legitimate. I know that many of my parents have asked if they can have chickens in Lemont. I will encourage you to ask the Village of Lemont to provide the documentation in their ordinances that specifies this directly.
Yes, that's all I found, too. What a shame they are not letting you do this anymore at school! It is so amazing to witness and study (I used to do research on chicken development and behavior). I think every school should have a flock to learn general biology, where food comes from and strengthen the connection to food, and learn responsibility and economics of resources. I hope they rethink their new policy. Good luck!

Yes, that's all I found, too. What a shame they are not letting you do this anymore at school! It is so amazing to witness and study (I used to do research on chicken development and behavior). I think every school should have a flock to learn general biology, where food comes from and strengthen the connection to food, and learn responsibility and economics of resources. I hope they rethink their new policy. Good luck!
I live in unincorporated lemont and I also have questions about chickens! From what I heard if you live in incorporated you need to have an acre of land but I’ve seen a good number of people living in subdivisions close to me who have smaller size yards and have chickens. I am allowed to have them since I am unincorporated but have little less than an acre of land , lots of my neighbors have chickens which is nice but my next door neighbors just hate any kind of animals, they have been like this since I was a kid but it would be nice to have something back up what I can have since I plan on expanding my coop and adding a silkie coop next spring. More eggs will be great! My chickens are very social neighbors just need to get over it

I live in unincorporated lemont and I also have questions about chickens! From what I heard if you live in incorporated you need to have an acre of land but I’ve seen a good number of people living in subdivisions close to me who have smaller size yards and have chickens. I am allowed to have them since I am unincorporated but have little less than an acre of land , lots of my neighbors have chickens which is nice but my next door neighbors just hate any kind of animals, they have been like this since I was a kid but it would be nice to have something back up what I can have since I plan on expanding my coop and adding a silkie coop next spring. More eggs will be great! My chickens are very social neighbors just need to get over it
You need to check the relevant ordinances. You can get copies from the city clerk and county hall.
If it is unincorporated, the city has no jurisdiction over you.

Back
Top Bottom