changes in Nutrena Chick Starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fowlwoman1, Oct 29, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    last week I bought a bag of Nutrena chick starter. When I picked it off the shelf at the store the bag felt "floppy" like the bag wasn't full enough. I didn't think real hard about that and bought it anyway. When I got it home I compared it to the Nutrena layer feed I had also just bought at the same store. The layer bag was firm like it should be. Then I opened the bags and could see that it was obvious that there was less in the chick starter bag and the crumbles looked like half was powder instead of nice crumbles. I used it anyway and decided to just not worry about wasting my time going back to the store for a refund or anything. So this week I needed to buy feed again and went back to the same store. I picked up a bag of the starter and it felt the same way. This time I asked the cashier if she knew of any problems with the feed. To make a long story short, I just decided to get layer instead of risking that the starter would be powdery again. The chicks don't like the powdery stuff. They eat until the crumbles are gone and then leave the powder.

So I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

2. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i am not sure about the feed changing, but you must not feed your chicks layer feed!!!!!!!!!! it contains enough calcium to make their little kidneys shut down!!! i would go back and ask for something else, asap!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Often, lots of "fines" in the feed can mean a bug infestation. Bugs grind up the feed and destroy vitamins, though you may not see any bugs in the bag, but it's not the only reason for powdery feed. I would not feed chicks layer, though. Way too much calcium. I've returned several bags of feed. Once a Southern States rep said their extruder equipment wasn't working well and was making the feed too powdery. I avoided that feed for months then when they replaced the equipment, the feed was back to being proper crumbles.

4. J. Jamison

J. Jamison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I was feeding Tindle chick starter and it was the same way, every bag that I bought. I started buying Nutrena chick starter and it has been great. I havent had any problems with Nutrena, in fact, I like it better than any chick starter that I have fed. There has been no dust, just really good feed.

5. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you weigh the bag?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by