Changing/Amending a livestock law in Tennessee

MamaOfBoys

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2019
Hi all! Chicken Mama here; I have a question for the hive mind. How does one go about changing a state law saying that chickens are livestock, instead, chickens are pets?
Here is some context: where I live, in the country, Roane County, if it makes any difference.... At any rate, I have 14 chickens, one being a rooster; they used to free-range all over the property, occasionally going down to the neighbors; just to be quickly brought back home by one of us.

Here is my issue. Got into an altercation with 2 of my neighbors this morning, cops got called, Animal Control was also called, was told that I cannot let my chickens free-range, due to them being livestock, not pets. Per state law.

How do I go about getting this law either amended, or changed entirely?

Thanks!

Not to sound rude, but this isn't the state's issue. You should keep your animals, whether they be pets or livestock, on your own property. No one else should have to deal with either one.

I'm not being mean, but it is dangerous for the birds to stray. There is always the presence of dogs, feral cats, Coyotes, birds of prey, and careless drivers. I would secure the leader that likes to go visiting. The rest of the flock should start to stay on your property. Sorry for being straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom