changing chick feed too early? what will it do?

fairladi_chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
gray court,sc
my uncle has over 30 chicks, 12 weeks this friday. he said the other day that he stoped giving them chick starter & started giving them layer pellets already. the chicks are still peeping & makein some new squacks too. he says they are fixin to start laying, & i said no they are not,, they are too young.

question: what will changing feed too early do to the chicks ,, when they are supposed to lay? will they lay late??

they are Black Australorps,, i believe.

The danger in feeding layer to baby chicks is too much calcium, which is quite dangerous for them. I have no idea whether this is true at 12 weeks, but for sure it will not start them laying earlier. People on here usually wait til they actually start laying, or at least 20 weeks. I believe layer is lower in protein than grower, so this could impede growth/maturing and laying.

AUSTROLORPS ARE BIG BONED CHICKENS AND WILL NOT LAY THAT EARLY THEY ARE STILL GROWING THEIR BONES AND FLESH

IT WIL JUST MAKE THEM LATER IN LAYING AND THE CALCIUM CAN EFFECT THEIR KIDNEYS

SO HE IS THE OWNER AND LET HIM FIND OUT THE PENALTY FOR PUTTING THE AUSTRALORPS ON A LESS PROTEIN DIET

ANY QUESTIONS EMAIL ME

Back
Top Bottom