Changing colour after moult?

Mum

Songster
8 Years
Dec 23, 2011
UK
When I bought my white speckled pekin, she was already one year old. She was white with brown speckles.
She had her first moult in November and now, she is white with black and grey speckles
hu.gif
My dh thinks I'm just mistaken but I've double checked the photo album and sure enough, her speckles have changed colour
lau.gif

Anyone else have a speckled who's speckles changed colour after a moult?

I have had and seen some chickens that would change color after a molt. Some would change slightly and others would change their whole color. I think it has something to do with the breeds and or colors used to make the bird. It could come from the parent, grandparent, great grand parents, and so on. I have seen it mostly in American Game but I have also seen it in Standard Poultry just not always as profound. So, I would imagine it could happen in any bird. I have seen Mallard drakes change color depending on the season.

Wow, really? Thank you for that information (I shall show dh your reply so he knows I haven't digitally altered her pictures just to prove my point
lol.png
)

That's really interesting that a bird could change their whole colour - explains why I feel the need to get my hair colour out of a bottle ... I suppose it's "natural"
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom