1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

changing feed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coffee, May 27, 2011.

1. coffee

coffee New Egg

May 27, 2011
    On the bag chicken feed it says to change over to laying food at eighteen weeks, which is about four weeks before they start laying. This worked out good for my rhode island reds. I now have some leghorns and I have read that they start laying at about eighteen weeks, should I start them on the laying food earlier than eighteen weeks?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I never start layer till I get the first egg.
    The directions is how commercial operations do it but they do lose chickens to kidney issues from too much calcium too early.
    And they structure artificial lighting to kick them all in at the same time.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I would wait until the first egg then start mixing the 2 feeds together. Like for a week mix 1/4 laying crumbles + 3/4 chick starter for the first week, then 1/2 laying crumbles and 1/2 chick starter for the second week and so forth. This is how I feed my young hens/pullets and it works well you me.

Nate

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    And.................

[​IMG] from Oklahoma!!!!!!!

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by