Changing Hierarchy?

Katcetera

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012
I added two new chickens to a flock of four about a month ago. Everything was ok, but they just don't seem to be leaving the most timid new hen alone. The two highest ranking hens keep chasing her around like crazy to the point where she's panting all the time. They have a huge coop and outdoor run, so lack of space is not a factor.

I heard that taking the trouble making chicken(s) out and putting them into another coop by themselves for awhile, then reintroducing them to the main flock might calm things down a bit. Has anyone tried this? If so, how long should I seperate the troublemakers from the flock?

I really need to get them all in together before winter, so I have a good time span to work with. Any other ideas of what I could try?
Maybe I am just babying them too much, but the hen who get's chased 24/7 is my favorite and since I took the trouble makers out they all seem a lot happier.

I've had the trouble makers for years now, and I don't want to part with them.

I've never had to try it, but what I've read is that you remove the worst "bully" for a week, out of sight of the others, then return her.

Back
Top Bottom