Changing of the guard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ironmaiden, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of disruption in their flock and approx. how long until things calmed down? The leader, an Old English Game banty roo has been usurped by my large RIR roo. He's battered and bloody about the comb area.
    Everything is in a uproar. I have three more roo's that are 18 weeks old. They are starting to mate with the hens, usually when the other two roos are out of sight. It's chaos. I do have 26 hens, but I have a feeling I will need to take one of the roo's to freezer camp.
    I know it will take some time for the new pecking order to be established, but dang...how long? [​IMG]

Thanks for any estimations...like...it will take 3 days and two hours.... [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would process either 2 or 3. You will have some worn out pullets and probably reduced egg production otherwise. Had much the same here til we got rid of all but 2 roos. I don't think they really grow up until they are a year old.

Plus two hours, of course. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by