Changing Roosting Habits?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MoonAngel12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    I have 10 four month old BA's that have decided to roost anywhere but in the coop - on top of it, on top of the coop next to it, in the trees, on the door, etc. This just started last week or so with one or two, now all 10 have migrated there with them. Two even started roosting in the coop next to it with an older batch of chickens. Not only is it a pain to put them back in every night (or downright impossible depending on their location), but I am 37+ weeks pregnant and sick so DH has been trying to help out with them as much as possible but he really really doesn't like touching them... I didn't realize he was slightly afraid of chickens until this past summer (3 years after my first batch!). He was wondering what we could do to retrain them or encourage them to actually go in at night?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they keep insisting on sleeping elsewhere after repeatedly putting them in the coop, you can try locking them in for a week to reset their idea of where home is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by