Changing to a nipple water system

Did you get one Chad-o?

I like to build my water system where it is easy to change the height. The best height in my opinion is just about eye height or a little higher. So as your chickens grow you may have to raise them a little bit every couple months until they get fully grown and then have them at or real close to eye level.

I have one system inside a breeding coop where the birds never get to go outside (it does have dirt floor with bugs and worms), it uses the auto fill cups that have the nipple inside that fills the cup when they drink. At one time the cups were getting terrible dirty inside and I had failed to raise the cups from when the birds were young and the cups low. After I raised the cups to a decent height for full grown birds the cups seldom get enough dirt and gunk in them that I have to remove them and rinse em out. I think it is called adapting your system to the situation you are currently dealing with. The reason this coop has the cups is because I had the standard vertical nipples in there and they made terrible puddles under the drinkers. I didn't have any horizontal nipples at the time but I did have a bunch of the cups and I had to use what I had instead of always buying new. I only buy the horizontal nipples now but the suto cups do work really well.

Yes LoneOak I did buy one cheaper and better than any other I looked at. The best part is it is expandable. They made a few changes from the original one. Brass & stainless float valve instead of plastic and went from 3 to 3 1/2 gal. Looks good and works even better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221377070471&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Last edited:
Yes LoneOak I did buy one cheaper and better than any other I looked at. The best part is it is expandable. They made a few changes from the original one. Brass & stainless float valve instead of plastic and went from 3 to 3 1/2 gal. Looks good and works even better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221377070471&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I think Rich has really got it figured out with this system that he is offering. All the parts are quality stuff and the design it jam up as well. You can use it with the float valve directly from a faucet or eliminate that and just keep the bucket full, whichever best suits your needs.

I think this may be the best system currently on the market for the small back yard flock owner. If you have 3 to 20 birds and don't want to go to all the hassle of designing and building your own custom water system, this is the way to go. Nothing beats it!!

I think Rich has really got it figured out with this system that he is offering. All the parts are quality stuff and the design it jam up as well. You can use it with the float valve directly from a faucet or eliminate that and just keep the bucket full, whichever best suits your needs.

I think this may be the best system currently on the market for the small back yard flock owner. If you have 3 to 20 birds and don't want to go to all the hassle of designing and building your own custom water system, this is the way to go. Nothing beats it!!

Hi LoneOak.... Haven't seen you around the threads in awhile!

I like Rich's horizontal nipples best. I can't see paying that much money for an auto fill bucket. That just seems outrageous!

Here's my set up since last fall. Works great too for my 5 chickens. Only had to top off the waterer every 14 days (and it was always still 1/2 full). It was heated too (details in my signature line).

Also to the right is my 5 gallon no-waste feeder......... That feeder will never be beat in my opinion! (details how to make one in my signature line as well).

We changed over to the nipple system last summer and I love it. The chickens found the water quickly. I tapped it a couple of times to make it drip while one of the girls was close by. All you need is one chicken to find it and you will be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom