changing to layer

Vinniemac

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 9, 2011
Western Pennsylvania
I'm currently feeding my chicken Purina start and grow I have 2 that are 15 weeks old and 3 that are 13 weeks old. I emailed Purina and they advised me to wait until the younger ones are 18 weeks old and start them all on Layena. Is that about right.
Vinnie

Yes that is good advice.

I personally like to keep feeding starter or flock raiser with available oyster shell. They do just fine on Starter until they begin laying and EVEN then they can continue to do well as long as oyster shell is fed and or free ranged. If cooped up layer pellets are great for them, after they begin to lay. Or you give it to them around 18 weeks if you prefer. That is good for them most of the time as well. Some hens don't begin to lay 25 to 30 weeks and that is why I like to keep the flock raiser or starter available to them.

Wish ya the best.

So I am having to switch to layer from grower and my pullers are 13 weeks old. Is this bad?

Thanks for all your replies I think i'll wait till the younger ones are at least 18 Weeks old before I switch.Out of the five hens I have 2 are Barnevelders and from what I have read they take a lot longer before they start laying. The other ones are 2 Wyandottes and 1 Rhode Island Red.I guess you will never know which one lays the 1st. egg.It will just be there. these are my first chickens and I can't wait
Vinnie

Back
Top Bottom