1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chantecler

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by yoker, Jan 30, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Buckeyes and Chanteclers are the two (north american, anyhow) breeds developed specifically for frostbite-resistance and vigor in the cold.

I have three (formerly four, et one, he was *unusually* tasty) Buff Chanteclers. They are very nice birds, I like them a lot personality-wise. However the pullets did not start laying till 8 1/2 months of age. This is probably unusual for the breed, but, still. They are for sale if anyone in Canada is interested (I want to switch to something smaller-bodied, as I already have the SS filling the 'good-sized birds' niche).

Pat

1 person likes this.
  2. Montana-Hens

Montana-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Buxton, Montana
    I got one last year just to try out the winter heartiness factor and egg production.

I she is a partidge. She is marked beautiful. Her comb is great. She weather my subzero windy Montana weather fantasic in an unheated insulated coop. From a winter heartiness factor she is stellar.

Now on to the egg situation. She is 9.5 months old....yes that old and has yet to lay her first egg! I am a little frustrated b/c everyone one else in my winter heartiness trial for breeds has laid. Two of them laid all winter in an uninsulated coop with no supplemental lighting.

The word is they are slow to mature. I am going to hope she starts laying soon, though she has no signs of such. I would like to try her thru next winter, but right now I would have to say that as much as I really like how she wintered, and her personality is nice, Chantecler is not high on my egg list. Feeding a lady for 3/4 of a year with no eggs, just not what I am looking for.

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    From a winter heartiness factor she is stellar. . . .I am a little frustrated b/c everyone one else in my winter heartiness trial

. . .

A better choice of word here is "hardy." or "For winter hardiness, she is" & "winter trial of hardiness."​

4. nissa_loves_cats

nissa_loves_cats Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it difficult to find a source of the breed? I've searched for hatching eggs on Eggbid and Ebay and not found any.

5. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    Just ordered a couple tios (buff and partridge chicks) from Ideal Poultry. Maybe they sell eggs too?
    Perhaps I'll be selling eggs next year [​IMG]

Quote:

6. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Just fyi, in Henry Chaucer's Cantebury Tales there is a fable about a rooster named Chantecler, this breed imediatly popped into my head as I read it. [​IMG]

7. nissa_loves_cats

I've looked at the Ideal poultry site, looks like a good place to get them. But before I get too excited and order any I'll have to see about building more chicken pens, I already have Brahmas and Araucanas.

8. nissa_loves_cats

I did it--- I ordered some Chanteclers from Ideal Hatchery. They offer Partridge, Buff and Red and I chose the Red, got 10 female and 5 male, and also got some Buff Brahma chicks.

I understand the original Chantecler color was white, and Ideal doesn't have those. I guess now that Chanteclers are a rare/endangered breed people like the colors better.

I'd like to get some whites someday, though. Since it is the original color (and an official color, unlike the Red and Buff which are prettier.)

9. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I would think that white would be a bad color for winter hardy chickens. Since white reflects warmpth rather then absorbs it. And white also attracts miscitos more (sp?)

10. slc

slc Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Upper Michigan
    Quote:When you getting your Ideal order? Mine are due May 5th. I have buff and partridge coming and buff brahma too. I am curious about the reds, you'll have to let us know how they turn out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by