Charcoal Peahen

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
So my three year old Charcoal peahen has been laying eggs. :( I'm not exactly thrilled because I bought her specifically because I did not want another
broody peahen and I don't want any more peachicks. She is beautiful and entertaining and funny and I have no desire to get rid of her, but I am disappointed. I have not seen her breeding with our IB peacock but I would not be surprised if she has. I know the egg I found today is hers because our other peahen is broody. What is the likelihood of our Charcoal hen going broody...will she be less likely to go broody because she is supposed to be sterile, or does it make any difference? If she does
go broody, what will the chicks look like since our IB cock would be the father?

Is that the hen you got from me? If she truly did lay an egg you should be singing from the rooftop as there have not been any known Charcoal hens lay that were not Spaulding. No one can answer your question about her brooding eggs as there have been none to date.

We can still say that the chicks will be blue split Charcoal!
Are there pictures of this hen?
Is it ringed 'Spring creek peafowl'? a farm band?
A Charcoal spalding peahen would have laid eggs ... is that 100% true?

paonne charcoal.PNG

Last edited:
Is that the hen you got from me? If she truly did lay an egg you should be singing from the rooftop as there have not been any known Charcoal hens lay that were not Spaulding. No one can answer your question about her brooding eggs as there have been none to date.
It is the hen I bought from you lol. I thought I remembered you saying once that it was possible. I mean it must be her that is laying, because my broody IB would not get off the nest and lay eggs in a different place, would she? If you are that sure she shouldn't be laying, then I won't worry too much...:D but wth???

What the hell is right! It is like you have the Golden Goose. Lori Russel has been working with Charcoals in a diet project trying to see if diet can make a Charcoal hen lay. I am going to forward your information to her if it is ok with you.

What the hell is right! It is like you have the Golden Goose. Lori Russel has been working with Charcoals in a diet project trying to see if diet can make a Charcoal hen lay. I am going to forward your information to her if it is ok with you.
Yes thats fine. I keep wondering if it could be a trple yolker chicken egg but it has the right color and shell consistency for a pea egg

If I told you it was possible for a Charcoal hen to lay it is because Brad Legg told me that he induced enough Spaulding to the point they would lay. So far your hen is the only non-Spaulding I have heard of that lays.
Yeah i remember your comment once aboug she might lay

Back
Top Bottom