charge to process 5 chickens for someone else

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kingsfarm, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    how much should I charge a person to process HER own chickens...no cost to me but the processing.....how much would you pay to have your chickens SKINNED not PLUCKED....what do you say....would you pay someone to to this? I sure would...

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    There's a guy who advertises on my local craigslist that he will process chickens for $3.00 each & turkeys for $6.00 each. I would think, if it were under ten chickens you could charge up to $5.00.
    I had a friend come help me on Saturday. I paid him with a home cooked meal and a bottle of Grey Goose vodka. I "wanted" to learn, in case I have to do it again. I did everything but the deliver the death blow.
    I think, if I do meat birds, I would consider paying the CL guy.

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah about $4 a bird would be a good price to start at [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Is she a friend or a stranger? Makes a difference, as far as I am concerned.

Also, what is getting butchered? If they are prime Cornish Cross, I might do it for one of the chickens. (or 1 out of 4-5 chickens). Not interested in any older roosters, though. Theoretically speaking only. I won't allow anyone else's birds on my property and I sure wouldn't drag all my processing equipment over to another property.

I would absolutely not pay anyone to process if they were skinning instead of plucking. You will get a difference of opinion about that one.

5. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    I think a twenty dollar bill would be fair to both parties. That would be 4 bucks per bird which is a little high, but you will have to set up and clean up. The more birds the cheaper the price.

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Wife and I once did neighbors 4H/FFA chic 20 for us 30 for them....cva34

7. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    thank you for the information.... what do you think of skinning the chickens ... do you skin yours?

8. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    How much is your time worth? Also consider the effort setting up and cleaning up, disposing of the offal, etc. when you figure the per bird cost. If someone asked you to do any other task, how much would you charge by the hour? At $4 per bird, even if you're fast that may only be $12 or $16/hr, less once you clean up the mess.

Maybe for a share of the meat?

-DB

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by