Charles is getting above his station!!! Starting to go for us...

Quote:
Brilliant.....

I started doing this today...my chicks are 5 weks old and I can see who the boys are. When I go over to feed them, I pat the boys sideways for about a minte while the girls eat.

My first job when go over now is to pat the boys away for the first minute.

I feel awefull doing this to the boys....they look at me as if to say.."What have we done?" and I also hope all the work I've put into making them all friendly doesn't get undone by patting them away.

After reading that article, I guess I'm doing pretty good with my only boy. So far, other than trying to "git some" with the girls in front of me, he's been really good. I swatted him off when he did that. I also grabbed him when he was being a bully while I was present, and once he is off his feet, he remembers who the real boss is. I guess I need to push him around a little more so he never fogets.

Quote:
Brilliant.....

I started doing this today...my chicks are 5 weks old and I can see who the boys are. When I go over to feed them, I pat the boys sideways for about a minte while the girls eat.

My first job when go over now is to pat the boys away for the first minute.

I feel awefull doing this to the boys....they look at me as if to say.."What have we done?" and I also hope all the work I've put into making them all friendly doesn't get undone by patting them away.

If you read the article, you will be re-asured that they are not "Thinking" that at all!

The article was interesting tho I don't consider it applicable to all or even necessarily the majority of roos - not all roos are the same. Or even close to the same. The roo I have now, and prior ones I've had, are and were as sweet as can be (other than 2 that were senselessly dropped off by a neighbor to me -unannounced -and that I had to find homes for - these roos were acting up and I couldn't keep them to work with them because the resident roo was too upset).

I've been nice all the time to my roos through the years and they are nice back all the time, truly without exception. Never once a tense moment. And they came to me as adults. I don't make them wait to be fed last, I don't slap or push them, I don't do anything but show affection all the time. They've all gently eaten from my hand.

This said, I realize some roos are not this way and maybe some of the techniques in the article would help. Just wanted to note that it may not always be necessary. I know I am lucky to have a gentle trusting relationship with my roo....and I truly wish the best for all with more irritable roos!
.JJ

Edited to add:
p.s. I do not believe we humans can say with authority that chickens don't think! The writer should have made it clear that it was just his/her opinion, rather than stating it as though it were scientific fact. I could tell countles stories that would leave one believing that not only do they think, but that they can also act selflessly and that they do indeed worry. Okay, done now. Back to work with me!

Last edited:
well, I have to say that I am a bit torn about that page with the info on how to treat roos...

I read it before and I started doing what he recommended and now Charles has got so much worse. But now that I think of it he was already being cheeky with my folks who watched the chickens while I was away for a week recently. So maybe he was headed that way anyway... We have a little cochin roo that is the sweetest little guy out - for now. Anyway, here is a pic of our big boy. He has a huge comb and wattles - I think that maybe maturing in the hottest summer for a long time he produced these humungous ones to help with cooling! Here he is with DH holding him.
of=50,590,442

And another...
of=50,590,442

I use a garden hose and mine would run from me. I also read were someone said you buy one of the kids super soakers. then carry that with you and if he looks like he is headed your way spray him with it. She said it only took a couple days and now he leaves her alone.

Back
Top Bottom