Chase the chicken, or not to chase the chicken..THAT'S my question.

djcisneros

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 20, 2011
So my rooster and I have kind of got in this habit of him running from me and me chasing him every evening and I'm done. I'm tired of doing it and especially now that I work nights and try to get a nap in before work. My hens always jump up on top of the coop around 7:45pm and I just go into the coop, clean a bit, replenish food/water, then pick em up and put em in. The rooster has always been the problem. Should I just leave him out tonight?..And keep doing so until he learns that the only way he's getting into the coop is if he lets me pick him or or he goes in himself? Or is that a bad idea? We don't really have any predators in the area. our area has been stripped of wooded plots and all the creatures of the night have moved further out from the city.

Well, if you don't mind him getting eaten. You might be surprised at what's lurking about in the night.....
hide.gif
It might be an idea to keep them all locked up in the coop for a week or so, so they know that that's where they should roost at night. They'll start going in on their own better and save you alot of work. Maybe try bribing him with treats instead of chasing him.

It's not uncommon for a rooster to wait until all the hens have gone in for the night, do one more security sweep around the coop and then go in himself. Are you sure you aren't rushing him?

By the way, in alot of cities predators like oppossums and raccoons are thriving, not being forced out.

Last edited:
I've tried treats, slowly inching towards him, holding him when I do catch him, and even sitting in the coop with them for a few hours. He's just never liked me. Ever since he was a chick, he's been standoff-ish towards me.

I tried leaving him out last night and my sister called around 11:30pm saying he was still running around the yard. And we haven't had raccoons or opossums in our neighborhood for about 4-5 years

Quote:
He's being a normal roo. He respects you as the head or alpha roo, so of course he's afraid of you. Subordinate roos that don't respect the alpha typically get their butts whooped by the alpha. I personally like a standoffish roo.

Quote:
He's being a normal roo. He respects you as the head or alpha roo, so of course he's afraid of you. Subordinate roos that don't respect the alpha typically get their butts whooped by the alpha. I personally like a standoffish roo.

Well he did attack me once and I [gently] kicked him off. It seems the only time I can go and pick him up is when the mice scare him...like tonight. I've been sitting outside and watched him enter the shed, get scared, then coming running over to me. It was the darn cutest thing I've seen him do.

So I guess the general consensus is that I need to be more patient with him? maybe give him a little extra time?

I had great luck using a sliding screen door , on its side so its long, as a herding panel. its lightweight so its easy to sweep the chickens in a certain direction.
after a few very successful nights of this i seemed to have one the battle , now everyone knows where to go and rarely do i have to use the herding panel. This is a great method some people use for large animals.
Good Luck!

I didn't let my chickens out to run around until they were able to get in the coop on their own. I kept them confined to a pen, and I would move the pen once a week for fresh stuff to grub at. And the coop too... Well anyway... My roo is always the last one in... Even when I built the new coop... I had to put them all in by hand 2 days... Then I herded them in on the 3 day and haven't had a problem getting them in since. I think its just become habit for the little mongrel to do that to you. LOL. Like a little kid who thinks he has to be rocked every nite! I don't suggest leaving him out all nite. you never know what will happen... I'd do as OP suggested, and use a light screen door... I used a 4 ft dowel to herd them... But I'd stop chasing him. Leave the coop door open till dark, then go out and see if he is in. Stop putting them in by hand. They will go in on there own... try doing your cleaning and feeding in the mornings right after you let them out. It will make it more peaceful for them to go to the coop on their own at night if you aren't in it.

I use two rakes like arms. I look like an idiot, but they go in. Maybe they think I'm nuts. My top rooster's a sissy. He goes in first every night. He'll get it soon. Don't lose hope, or your mind.

Back
Top Bottom