chckens in the south east! :)

annabell254

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2012
south Ga
Hi, I am new to this and just thought I would say Hi and introduce myself...I am trying to raise a mixed free range flock of chickens, ducks, and geese...We have had them for 2 years now and they have survived free range they are 2 Chinese geese, 2 rhode island reds, and a bunch of banies that hatched after our 1st 2 mated and now we have 7 roosters and 3 hens they have the silver pencil feathering and are quite nice (except for one rooster who is only kinda nice) and they have kept my hens safe chasing off stray cats and dogs :) (but still being locked up at night) and so this year I have ordered some on line after my local supply store sold me the wrong birds! they were supposed be buff Orpington and Silver Spangled Hamburg but they turned out to be Rhode Island Reds and Cornish Cross Broilers....the poor crosses are so very sweet they sit in my sons lap when he takes the feed to them, they are foraging very well but they are only 8 weeks now and I have read that I will probably loose them if I dont eat them :( I am trying to talk my husband into doing the dirty work (he wants to know if you can just shoot them with a 22 while out in the field? it seems less personal to him, because we are quite attached to them...we had not intended to have eating birds, and if we did we thought they would be roosters that attacked us haha and I could probably do that, I hate to be attacked esp from behind!) anyway.... I have 20 egg laying chicks coming they are easter eggers, Speckled Sussex, Silver Spangled Hamburg, and Cuckoo Marans and 15 banies which are 8 silkies, 1 Cochin and 6 silver sebrights and a few geese and runner ducks to go with our Swedish and buff ducks at the pond :) I am thrilled to be a part of this forum and have been reading it for the past 2 years! and am just getting around to signing up :)

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Welcome to BYC. If you've been reading for two years, you already know what a great group of people are here. Hope everything works out with your new chickens.

Welcome to BYC! Good luck with the chickens. Sorry you are faced with not being able to keep some of them. A hard decision and not one that I'm sure I'd be able to make as we're resigned to running a retirement home for hens when ours stop laying. Having lost our flock of three last year to raccoons though I know that's not something you want to go through either. Enjoy all the new additions!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom