Cheap metal sheds as coops?

CoopsNPoops

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Ellsinore, MO
I need to upgrade my coop. My ideal coop would be a wooden utility shed, but reality is stopping me. Thousands of dollars for chickens to sleep and poo in only? With a family of 6, that money is more important elsewhere. I can build, but don't want that headache. With lumber prices the way they are, labor prices on top of that will probably be rediculous too if we had someone else build. While browsing for ideas, i came across a really cute metal utility shed. Of course it was much to small, but it got me curious. They seem rather flimsy looking, but they don't seem like they would be to difficult to stabilize and alter for ventilation. Come to think of it, it is a little concerning how i would rain proof those said vents and windows. I do have old lumber to build some framing and stability on the inside. Heat and cold wouldn't be much of an issue as they free range and won't be in the coop until it's dark and cooler. They don't go in the coop except to roost and lay, even in the winter. We don't have to harsh of winters, but figuring out heat if needed would be an easy fix. Insulation? Ah, we don't really need it here. Fans, heat... temperature concerns aren't top priority with a coop as those are easily addressed as needed.. Storms would be our biggest concern. High winds, occasional tornados, etc. I'm not so sure these would be the best storm proof options, but they're cheap for the sizes you can get! Lol. Anyways, looking for input. Opinions, ideas, etc. Has anyone tried them. Does anyone use them?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210510-233424_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210510-233424_Chrome.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210510-233515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210510-233515_Chrome.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210510-235904_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210510-235904_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210510-233515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210510-233515_Chrome.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20210511-000224_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-000224_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 24
I just wanted to point out that chicken poop can rust/burn away metal. Thats why when people do use metal, they often cover the entire interior with wood anyways...

Ah. Didn't even consider rust. Most of them are advertised as rust proof, but i don't know how accurate that is or isn't. It could be an easy preventative though with position of roosts. They will only poop in it when roosting anyhow.

Here in the Steamy Southeast, where termites, carpenter ants, fungus, and the composting action of animal manure EAT wood, metal sheds for animal housing are very popular. Coated metal doesn't rust near so fast as wood rots.

Most are just three sides and a roof with wire on the open wall if protection/containment is necessary.

It's hard to adequately ventilate a closed metal shed but Open Air coops are appropriate for warm climates with mild to moderate winters since heat is more dangerous to chickens than cold.

The small, lightweight sheds can be subject to being flipped or mangled by the wind, but there are ways to anchor them with various forms of storm ties.

Pictures of the current setup?
Consider a hoop coop. 4 panels will make a 16x8 structure. Probably have $500 into it counting wire, wood and roofing material. I know people in CO and WY that use them. If they can survive WY winters and winds, they can hold up to any climate.

Pictures of the current setup?
Consider a hoop coop. 4 panels will make a 16x8 structure. Probably have $500 into it counting wire, wood and roofing material. I know people in CO and WY that use them. If they can survive WY winters and winds, they can hold up to any climate.
Idk. Walk in shed type coops are my preference. Their current coop is a hand me down outhouse style coop. Seems to have been pieced together with scrap wood and plywood. It's small, but it works for them to roost. I altered it to extend the nesting boxes outside, so that gave more floor space inside for me to gather eggs. Like i made the entrances to the nesting boxes flush with the interior wall.. I really dont need anything that big. That would be alot of wasted space. Like i said they are strictly free range and only need roost and laying space inside a coop.

You frame in the arched ends and build a door on one end. It is 6'+ in the middle so plenty tall to walk around in.
The metal shed is a bad idea. They will trap suffocating heat in the summer to the point that the hens will refuse to go in at night. Within 2 years you will start having visible rust and it will become an eyesore.

Back
Top Bottom