Cheap solution for keeping your coop run dry and protected from the elements

The seed starter mat was just an idea - after doing a little more research, I decided against it bc the chickens would only want to hang out and roost there. I have zero heat in my coop which is probably the best thing.
Yeah that was my thought. I have 2, 13 week old ladies that insist on sleeping in 1 box and that's without any heat source :rant

Back before we gave up with kit coops and built our own with a fully covered run; we also used to use shower curtains to keep out the rain.

It worked well in our climate where we did not want the run covered at all times and as you can see we simply pegged it to the existing shade/cover [not waterproof]:

Rain CoatA.JPG Rain Coat.JPG

I use a seed heating mat for my baby chicks, but great thinking on that. Would just encourage them to sleep in the boxes which just creates a mess you'd have to clean up.

@hansoto, did you use screws and washers to attach the shower curtains to the frame? Did you need to trim the curtains to fit the wood frame? And how far apart did you add new grommets?

@hansoto, did you use screws and washers to attach the shower curtains to the frame? Did you need to trim the curtains to fit the wood frame? And how far apart did you add new grommets?

Sorry I am JUST getting this. Yes I used screws and washers to attach the curtains to the frame. DO NOT use screws and washers directly onto the curtain as it will rip with a gust of wind. You’ll have to install the grommets first. It is easier than you think. I spaced them out about 18” to 24” apart.

Nice thread. We don't really have a snow problem, occasionally a couple of inches, but we do get plenty of rain. When it rains hard and is windy, part of our run can get a bit muddy. I like the curtain idea, something we can put up easily when needed and then take down when not needed, really only need to curtain off one corner. Also, thanks for posting where you are located. BB

We ended up using your shower curtains to keep the rain out of one corner, used 1 curtain on the end and 2 curtains going down the side. Had a bit of trouble with the curtain holes ripping out due to wind, so I took some gorilla/duct tape and re-enforced the holes and then put in the grommets. We chose to use cheap carabiners(sp?) to hold the plastic to the wire. We got our stuff at Harbor Freight. So far, so good. Thanks again for the idea.

IMG_1183.JPG

Don’t attach the screws directly through the curtain holes. Use those holes as guides on where to install your grommets and then put the screws (with washers) through the grommets. Your curtains will not rip this way. I will update my post to reflect this as it may not have been clear.

I understand what you are saying. I don't have the "framing" to use screws and washers for the curtain size(bought at a Dollar Store). I think my current method is fine for us, it is also quick and easy to remove the curtains. IF I were more motivated, I could have bought a heavier gauge visqueen and cut panels to match my run's framing. Maybe next year IF I need to. We can't believe how many projects and time having these chickens have cost us, whew!!!!

Back
Top Bottom