Cheap ways to treat respiratory symptoms

Oct 18, 2018
Hello everyone!

I recently acquired some free chickens, a very sick group they are. All of them have scaly leg mites, but I have those well under control. But most also show lots of symptoms for respiratory sickness. Lots of coughing, sneezing, some discharge from mouth and eyes, etc. I was looking for cheap ways to treat this. I understand this isn't the way everyone thinks, and I get that, but these were free chickens that I don't know if they will make it. I am trying my best, but am not interested in buying expensive medicine that is overpriced and diluted so it last a week. Thank you in advance, -BP

Hello everyone!

I recently acquired some free chickens, a very sick group they are. All of them have scaly leg mites, but I have those well under control. But most also show lots of symptoms for respiratory sickness. Lots of coughing, sneezing, some discharge from mouth and eyes, etc. I was looking for cheap ways to treat this. I understand this isn't the way everyone thinks, and I get that, but these were free chickens that I don't know if they will make it. I am trying my best, but am not interested in buying expensive medicine that is overpriced and diluted so it last a week. Thank you in advance, -BP
Whatever disease(s) they have can easily be transmitted to your pigeons and quail. I recommend that you cull the chickens and bury them deep far away from your birds or incinerate them.
If you have handled the sick chickens, stay away from your pigeons and quail. Wash the clothes you were wearing, disinfect your shoes and practice personal hygiene. Poultry diseases can be carried on your person, not to mention vehicle tires etc...
Practice strict biosecurity.

Thanks so much for the replies! does anyone have ideas about the original question?

WHY... would you take in sick chickens?
I never would intentionally go out and get a sick chicken. They were quickly given to me when it was dark outside. I had no time to examine them.
I really hope you didn’t already have chickens before getting them.:oops:
I had three chickens before hand. All hens. I want up to 8 laying hens. I see no way to bring in new birds with no risk. I cannot hatch eggs from my current flock. If you know of some magic way to bring in birds with zero risk, please let me know. As far as I see it, I am never going to get a laying flock of eight hens without bringing in new birds. I will never get anywhere without risk.
I recommend that you cull the chickens and bury them deep far away from your birds or incinerate them.
thanks for this idea. Do you do this every time one of your birds get sick? I see no way to bring in new birds, expect them to be healthy, and if they aren't, kill them. I don't have that money to buy chickens a upon chickens. People don't sell their best birds, they sell the ones weakening their gene pool. I'm never going to buy a 100% healthy chicken, so I can't buy and kill them every time.

Thanks so much for the replies! does anyone have ideas about the original question?

thanks for this idea. Do you do this every time one of your birds get sick? I see no way to bring in new birds, expect them to be healthy, and if they aren't, kill them. I don't have that money to buy chickens a upon chickens. People don't sell their best birds, they sell the ones weakening their gene pool. I'm never going to buy a 100% healthy chicken, so I can't buy and kill them every time.
I've culled birds for less reasons. I've never had a respiratory diseased bird in ANY of my flocks, EVER. There are NO CHEAP ways to treat birds that have respiratory disease(s).
CULL THEM is the CHEAP WAY or your pigeons and quail will be next, GUARANTEED.
You've been warned! Good luck.

Hello everyone!

It would help to know exactly what is causing the respiratory problems.
However, some respitatory problems respond well to Oxine.
Whether you can get it where you are and how you administer it are further problems.
https://www.shagbarkbantams.com/the-many-uses-of-oxine-ah-animal-health/

Stuff your chickens full of nutrients so their immune system is as strong as possible. Give them apple cider vinegar (look up a recipe), as well as diatomaceous earth to take care of the mites. Make sure not to breath in on yourself as it can cause damage to your lungs. If you have ever heard of homeopathics, I would try those too. I hope all works out for you😊

Stuff your chickens full of nutrients so their immune system is as strong as possible. Give them apple cider vinegar (look up a recipe), as well as diatomaceous earth to take care of the mites. Make sure not to breath in on yourself as it can cause damage to your lungs. If you have ever heard of homeopathics, I would try those too. I hope all works out for you😊
Not with respiratory diseases. Birds with respiratory diseases are carriers for life, IF they survive.
DE is ineffective treating external parasites, a waste of money.

Next time, try to get a GOOD look at the birds. And quarantine any new birds before introducing them to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom