Cheapest fencing for a chicken tractor?

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
I'd like some input on the cheapest fencing/wire that I can enclose a chicken tractor with that is fairly predator proof. Hardware cloth can get expensive if you need alot of it. I was thinking like a 1 in x 2 in welded wire that would keep out daytime predators. Anyone use anything less expensive that is fairly predator proof? Thanks for any advice/input.

Well, there are couple of options that I can think of. Personally I'd do the hardware cloth so that I was sure nothings getting in including weasels and other smaller preds. However there is also the option of using chicken wire to keep the birds in and having a perimeter fence 1-2 feet from the chicken wire of electric netting which is fairly cheap and extremely effective.

I free range though so I shouldn't give advice as I don't even have a run...I have good dogs that provide my protection and my chooks get locked up tight at night.

I used 1 x 2inch welded wire on all my runs. I then put chicken wire on the inside so raccoons can't pull the chickens through. This has worked for me. The wire is also buried down 2 feet. We live adjacent to the wildlife management area and have had chickens for over 5 years without mishap. The chicken wire on the inside of the run also allows you to put very young birds in the run without the worry of them getting out.

You could price out using 2x4" welded wire mesh (a heavy gauge, not flimsy garden stuff) with 1/2" chickenwire (preferably really the 1/2" not 1", in this case, IMO) added inside along the bottom 3'. The 2x4" mesh could be used alone, no chickenwire, for a digproof apron. Won't keep weasels or rats out but then not much will.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom