Check Feed Date Before Buying

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
Just a tip. I stopped to pick up some feed today and checked the date on it like I would do at a grocery store. The date on the bag was 21 July 2022. I pointed it out to the store manager and he said the feed was delivered this week and obviously had been sitting in a warehouse for over a year. Feed that old would definitely be molded after sitting in a warehouse for 14 months.

Just a tip. I stopped to pick up some feed today and checked the date on it like I would do at a grocery store. The date on the bag was 21 July 2022. I pointed it out to the store manager and he said the feed was delivered this week and obviously had been sitting in a warehouse for over a year. Feed that old would definitely be molded after sitting in a warehouse for 14 months.
Not sure I buy the manager's excuse...but<shrugs>

Might not be moldy but the nutrition levels would be extremely deficient.

Same here. Manna Pro electrolyte was actually damp inside the pack when I opened it. It had a 2021 date. That was a couple of weeks ago. I don’t know what’s going on. Maybe the producers sunk costs are so high, they aren’t pulling this outdated stuff or the retailers are buying this old stud knowingly at such a low price that they ca’t turn it down. Problem is, if it doesn’t sell, it probably continues to sit in a store or warehouse until it does sell.

I've seen old feed in stores too, including human food in grocery stores. Always check mill dates on poultry feed, and expiration dates on human food and medicines!
It is a management problem, stock isn't rotated or checked as should be done. Glad you complained!
Recently i found a half gallon of milk at our local store, right in front on the shelf, one month after it's expiration date! And the box was swelling a bit... I complained to the store manager, and plan to report any more such issues to public health, and maybe the local news service.
Sorry, venting a bit about this milk!
We want to use our poultry feed within two months of the mill date on each bag, if at all possible, and will buy fresh every time.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom