1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Check out my babies!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iread, Feb 16, 2009.

1. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    I went to the Clemson University Poultry Center and picked up my chicks today. They have had trouble with their incubator so only 16 of the 20 hatched. She included 2 week olds with my order and then convinced me to take a turken that "nobody wanted" who has "been with babies" and who is 3 weeks old. I couldn't resist. [​IMG] I also bought 2 dz eating eggs just to help support their program--they are dealing with HUGE budget cuts. Here is what I ended up with
    1 white leghorn
    3 turkens
    5 barred rocks
    10 buff orphingtons

I hope to take better pics later. I didn't want to bother them too much since they were a little stressed from the trip! Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the 3 week old turken (who is now a surragate mommy even tho he is probably a roo)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That last pic is adorable! Thanks for sharing and congrats on the new babies!

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I just love little fluffy butts!![​IMG] Your chickies are soooo cute!! Congrats!![​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Cute chicks....I love that last picture [​IMG]

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    COngratulations![​IMG]

6. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Cutie patooties!!! The last pic is sweet.

7. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

The turken with the chick on it is so cute.

8. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Love the photo's...Congrats!

If you don't allready have any, you will LOVE the turkens! they are so sweet natured! (as you can tell by the last photo!)
    Our Gal "Princess" who is the same color as yours, took over as "mom" to a showgirl chick we adopted... the poor thing had hardly any human contact when we got her- and is terrified of people to this day... but follows "Momma Princess" everywhere!

9. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    Quote:I hope that he/she is sweet. I am watching closely to make sure the little guys are ok with him/her in there. So far, I have only seen a few get their toes stepped on!

BTW Do ya'll agree with my DBF that the turken is a roo? He said. "Look at that comb! Got to be a roo!"

10. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I'm new to this and have only had my chicks a few days. When do the combs start showing. I was suprised to see it at 3 weeks. LOL I was also suprised that they started getting feathers so soon. New and learning everyday. More pics please.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by