Check out my chick poo please. (Diarrhea)

Girlmomx3

Songster
Oct 12, 2021
So this is my first experience with chick diarrhea and have looked at a lot of poop pics trying to figure it out, as my chick screams at me for being quarantined!

She is 5 days old. Eating and drinking well. They have been on medicated feed since day one, have put probiotics in water every other day too, only vaccinated for Mareks so hatchery said medicated feed was okay. She is very energetic and loud haha but the poo is stinky and began yesterday. Has had a couple solids as well (as pictured).
DC43F8F7-168B-445D-BD59-C289AB0F1FCE.jpeg

46210741-686E-44A0-8C58-B44282B01472.jpeg

that looks like a cecal poop to me. Cecal poops are generally more pungent and runnier than normal poops, but are normal for their digestion.

I don't see any blood, which could mean coccidia, so I think it's safe to say your chick is fine and just had a cecal poop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cecal-vs-regular-poop.75555/
Thank you!!! I read previous articles before posting but was still unsure and don’t tell the other chicks but she’s my favorite haha so I panicked. She is very vocal and they are all very energetic. She’s been trying her hardest to escape her quarantine box to get back to her sisters.

My babies would have poops like that on occasion. I would only worry if your little bean started acting lethargic or not herself. Is she a Rhode Island Red by chance? Only asking because they are one of my favorite breeds. My profile pic features my RIR, Hattie. She is my 'hugger' :love . My Buff Orpington, Gretchen, would cry when she was a baby (until I took her out of the brooder and let her snooze in my lap :rolleyes:). Maybe your Little screams because she wants to be with her momma chicken :wee.

My babies would have poops like that on occasion. I would only worry if your little bean started acting lethargic or not herself. Is she a Rhode Island Red by chance? Only asking because they are one of my favorite breeds. My profile pic features my RIR, Hattie. She is my 'hugger' :love . My Buff Orpington, Gretchen, would cry when she was a baby (until I took her out of the brooder and let her snooze in my lap :rolleyes:). Maybe your Little screams because she wants to be with her momma chicken :wee.
She is a RIR. She’s the sweetest too! I love watching them. Every single time I change their puppy pads I walk away and come back and it looks like someone dumped out the food so I stayed and watched, and I found my Olive Egger can empty a feeder in seconds with her beak. I’ve tried ways to prevent it too. No luck so far but it is pretty comical. I just keep the feeder low and add food several times a day so they never run out but low enough that she doesn’t waste too much 🤣

Back
Top Bottom