Check out my chicken tractor

There’s several things I’d change on this, not sure I should be doing how to guides on my first build.

IMO, the coop articles that include evolution of the concept, changes, and honest evaluations of what the builder would do differently the next time are my favorites to read. I think that they really help people avoid making mistakes on the ideas that sound good at first or look good on paper but don't work well in practice.

My article on the Little Monitor Coop has a "Things we did wrong" section (I wrote the article after remodeling it).

Besides, while good coop page articles do help other people duplicate good coops, their main purpose is to celebrate the many ways people house their chickens and the authors' achievement in the build.

I really think that’s nice. Some of y’all’s coops look nicer than some houses were I live. I thought I would show y’all a picture of mine that my husband made with my supervision. 😆 The handle by the nest box slides out I pick it up wheels swing down I sit it down on the axle then I pick it up on opposite side and pull it along. Like everyone says this is model one I know now what to change on next one if we ever do it. We put it in to use last summer.

Attachments

• FE031855-1B73-415F-BCDA-83B15B20F845.jpeg
    FE031855-1B73-415F-BCDA-83B15B20F845.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • B674B5CE-C10D-4B8A-999F-932D25708038.jpeg
    B674B5CE-C10D-4B8A-999F-932D25708038.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20D50973-0445-429F-A11F-B3CC59163E84.jpeg
    20D50973-0445-429F-A11F-B3CC59163E84.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 60EEEA4A-D06F-44F7-8D24-D8D1C2B42793.jpeg
    60EEEA4A-D06F-44F7-8D24-D8D1C2B42793.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
So I’ve been pretty slammed at work and at home but finished some modifications suggested here.
1. Ramp moved to the side. This gave more continuous area in the coop.
2. installed the trailer levels on each side with 2x6 and lag bolts moving center of gravity forward some. I went from 8” tires to 13”. As you can see I had to block brace and strap as well as drill to keep the wheels from buckling and to keep them straight. Cheap harbor freight junk.
3. During my tests I noticed food was getting wet and there was no real shade so I added walls to provide wind break and protect the food from rain.
4. I also noticed that my over hangs over on the windows and top vents did not block rain... so I added impromptu rain guarding and stained the interior with anti mold stain.
5. Added the corrugated shingling over the ramp area for shade and weather protection.
6. finally I added a hook allowing me to tow this beast around the yard. It can be moved by hand easily but why not tow it to its destination in style.

thank you all for your positivity, the two broody hens I’m breaking broody are testing it out and hope to be putting some 8wk hens in there next week.
This is very nice. But wouldn't predators be able to get in the run from underneath? Like snakes, raccoons, mice, possums etc.?
I live in Florida and ended up putting cement blocks all around run so nothing could dig it's way in at night.
With a fenced in yard I let them free range 2-3 hours a day when I clean the run, rake leaves etc. Due to Owls and Hawks.

I really think that’s nice. Some of y’all’s coops look nicer than some houses were I live. I thought I would show y’all a picture of mine that my husband made with my supervision. 😆 The handle by the nest box slides out I pick it up wheels swing down I sit it down on the axle then I pick it up on opposite side and pull it along. Like everyone says this is model one I know now what to change on next one if we ever do it. We put it in to use last summer.
I don't see an actual place for them to sleep and stay safe from rain that comes in sideways or cold drafts at night. No roosting bars either. Chickens love to sleep on something high. But they sure have plenty of ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom