Check out my new brooder-Hubby just made it today!

thats awesome and I love how your dog is keeping watch. They are so cute. The water platform is a great idea
thumbsup.gif

that looks amazing and im trying to build one just like it. do you remember what you used for it (like the sizes of the woods)

that looks amazing and im trying to build one just like it. do you remember what you used for it (like the sizes of the woods)

This brooder ROCKS!!! Will have to remeber the design for that water platform when brooding babies again. In fact, I think I'll do something similar for the coop now since running the circular saw is one of my newly discovered girl powers.
wink.png
Thanks for the inspiration!

Ok, hopefully the third time is a charm. I have been trying to respond to you but my posts are going into the great beyond.

My husband is in California for the week but when he gets back I can try to write down how he made the brooder if you want. He used 4x8 OSB 5/8s inch thick, 2x4s for the framing of the base and the "legs", 2x2s for the upper supports for the wire. We have added a feeding platform to try and cut down on waste. It has been working great! It is a piece of OSB cut to fit one end with a 2x4 support under the open end. I topped it with a 3x4 rubber stall mat. The feed that they spill they mostly clean up on their own and at cleaning time I just sweep the mess up. The ducklings are 5/6 weeks now and getting big but they still seem to have plenty of room.

Hopefully the pictures I took this morning will work now.

I have also started putting stall pellets in the bottom of their water catch pan. It has made carrying the pan outside so much easier and it has really cut down on any smell from poopy, feed crumby spilled water.

I use stall pellets, too, in the watering station in the basement pen.

Works nicely! I also put it in the veranda, which is their night time porch for spring, summer and fall. Just cultivate it a bit every day or two, and it stays pretty fresh. Every couple of weeks I shovel out the top two inches and add that to the compost, then add fresh sawdust.

Its 4x8x3 and he put it together using leftovers from the duck house construction.

They love their new water platform and I am already loving the drier shavings!

That is ingenious! How do you make the water platform?

Back
Top Bottom