Check out my Utility Trailer Mobile Brooder

ChickBond 007

Licensed to Cull
11 Years
Feb 26, 2009
Madison County, Iowa
We finished our mobile brooder tonight.
23790_dsc05301.jpg

Here's a webpage that shows more pics and more details about our mobile "utility trailer" brooder.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=23790-utility-trailer-brooder
Enjoy!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

just one thing,, i think the 250 bulb might be too much heat , i have mine about 20-24in above the chicks.

Last edited:
Beautiful. I visited your page - quite a set up. The light box is a great idea - nice and secure.

But tell me about the ducks - they just hang out in the kiddie pool? How fun!

Quote:
We are about 17" above right now, and used a digital thermometer to test. We get 98 directly under the bulb at 17", and 93 degrees at 18 1/2 ". Thanks for the advice. We tested and are comfortable.

Quote:
Well, my ducks are big babies.
They have an outdoor pen, but when the silkies moved in about two weeks ago, the ducks had a traumatic setback much like toddlers do when new babies come home with the mom.
They line up at the garage at dusk and quack at me, follow me around, beg to come in. They were brooded in that baby pool last Oct/Nov/Dec, and seem to have a good memory.
I love ducks, they are such characters! They're messy, but so much fun.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
It's funny that you say that. Hubby had just tried to sell this trailer last fall with no takers. It's mine now..... How many chicks fit in 6' by 6' anyway?
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

VERY COOL idea. May I offer a couple of suggestions to make it just a little more "user friendly" ?? For your lights if you used what is called "jack chain", it is like real small dog chain and commonly used to hang flouresent (sp) shop lights. You could simply take up a few links to raise or lower the light to adjust the temp. Another method I use is a rotoray lght dimmer switch. I am new to raising chickens but found that when I put my 14 chicks in a large metal stock tank 1 light just didn't seem to be enough so I put 2 and that seemed like too much judging by the chicks. So I put the second light back with the dimmer and adjusted it till the chicks looked happy. By doing this you should never have to move the light just dim it as they get older. The switch can be bought at wal-mart for like $4.00. If anybody would like to do this but doesn't have the electrical know how let me know I can draw it out for ya, it is very simple and when the chicks are done you will still be able to use this set up for many other uses.
Rob

Quote:
Hey, Thanks, Rob! The dimmer switch idea sound ideal for my situation. Can you PM the drawing / details of how to set this up to me? I used the aluminum wire last night because we couldn't find any chain while "rummaging" in the garage. I would really appreciate your info on the dimmer.
thumbsup.gif

The chicks arrived this morning at 6am (I guess living in Iowa is too close to the hatchery and when they say the week of March 23, they mean 6am on March 23!)
They have been running around doing well, and the meaties are already clearing out the feed bin!

Back
Top Bottom