Check out these MONSTERS!!!

If you do get eggs that are fertile they will still be the same.Breeders of cornish X keep the wt. down by limit feeding. That Roo would look great on the table.

I keep reading conflicting stories on this. I'm confused!
idunno.gif

Well... I hate to say it but we lost one of the wonder girls
hit.gif
. Seems she had a bad case of sour crop and had to go to the BIG dumpster in the yard
hu.gif
So now we are down to a pair. The other hen is looking a little purple in the comb as well, but doesnt stink. Pampered um a little today so we'll see how it goes. Godzilla is still looking real strong though.
D.gif

Chef

purple comb=heart failure... might want to brush off your recipe book... may as well harvest her as throw her away. it is what she was bred for, and the ones that live a longer, happy, healthy life are the extremely rare exception....
sad.png

Just curious, since the commercial broilers grow so big so fast and usually die from heart failure or their legs being able to support them, does anyone know how the commercial breeders keep them alive long enough for sexual maturity to breed them? I know that they can't mate naturally due to their size but wonder how they keep them alive long enough for artificial insemenation or egg laying age.

I know from personal experience that commercial meat strains of turkeys have the same problems. I bought some day poults from a commercial hatchery and kept two females and a tom. By the time the tom was 6 months old, he weighed about 50 lbs.! It became a struggle for him just to walk. It was more of a waddle than a walk and he had to eventually roost on the ground. When he was younger, he prefered to roost about 15 feet in a tree. One day he dropped dead of a heart attack while trying to run and never made it to 7 months. The hens lived long enough to lay a few eggs but soon died of a heart attack as well.

Back
Top Bottom