Checking bylaws?

Saerasx

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Beaverton, OR
Ive done the research and we are allowed up to 4 hens but no roos, awesome! My husband brought up what about our neighborhoods bylaws? We dont pay HOA fees and we didnt get a "welcome packet" when we moved in either. A search of the internet brings up nothing. So are we in the clear? We have never heard of a "leader" or anything like that. My husband is just concerned because "no one else has chickens", but my response was because we cant see into other yards and if they are quiet hens we wouldnt hear much anyway. He is just paranoid I think. Is there some special way for me to double check? Or should I just adhere to our city's ordinance?

Are you in an HOA? They can set rules and regulations. It happens to people on here all the time. City laws may allow chickens but HOA's can set additional restrictions. If you have an HOA go talk to them. If you don't have an HOA go by the city laws.

Its a bit weird from what I understand. Technically there is an HOA type group but we dont pay anything and I have never seen any set of rules ever....so, Im really not sure what course to take. Our city is clear about having up to 4 hens- no roos as long as you arent in the city proper, which we arent. Im thinking I can go off of those rules, if there was any sort of leadership I would think that they would set out rules clearly.

If there is a HOA, you would have signed some sort of document agreeing to the terms and conditions of the HOA at the closing when you bought your house. You should have a copy in your closing papers. Otherwise, check with the HOA. The terms and conditions of a HOA can be more restrictive than those of a city or county.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom