Checking fertility on fertile eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken7777, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    hello everyone I have a pekin pait and the hen is giving me an egg a day and still hasnt stop. All have been fertile my incubator is full with them and i candled to find that all of them are growing beautifully so fertility is great!
    my question is how can i tell if an egg is fertile or not before i put it in the incubator? I know you can candle them to see but i dont see anything, is there something i can tell by from candling them that early?

and i am wanting to ship some eggs for people that are interested in my fertile pekin duck eggs, i wanted to know though, if i wanted the people to receive eggs that are alive and fertile until what day can i ship the eggs how old can they be?

Also what is something to watch out for or any tips on hatching fertile eggs that belong to someone else and are being shipped?
    Thank you very much!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    i don't think you can. I know you can break them open to see if there is a bulls eye, but of course then they are no good. I would say that if the rest are all fertile then your good to go. I got some eggs from someone and some were fertile and some were not. That's just how it goes. You can only do what you can do.

Natalie

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    You can't see fertility unless you open them

4. Chicken7777

Chicken7777 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    North Jersey
    okay great thank you for the help guys...that what i actually thought with the fertility!

Also what can you guys give me on tips and idea on what to look for when shipping and receiving fertile eggs from someone else?

thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by