Checking in from Yamhill County, Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Miss CluckyButt, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Miss CluckyButt

Miss CluckyButt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    Yamhill County, Oregon
    Hi ya,
    I had 3 chickens until about 6 weeks ago when a visiting dog, let it out of the truck to potty without the owners realizing we free-range when we're home, chased our dominant hen, Miss CluckyButt, down a ravine and presumably into the creek. We looked for hours, but never recovered her. Two weeks later, the remaining two chickens were spooked by a close call with a hawk (unharmed, other than losing a few feathers), but it sent them into a molt.
    A bit over a month ago, I was gifted 4 beautiful, healthy, laying hens, and put them in quarantine in the pen in our barn to make sure all was well with them. We integrated them with our other 2 hens this past weekend. There have been typical pecking order squabbles, with the dominant hen of the new flock gently taking charge.
    The new chickens' move to a new home seems to have also triggered them into a molt and reduced their egg production. I get 1 to 2 eggs a day out of the 6 hens total though, which is probably a good percentage, considering it's winter.
    They're currently eating a commercial layer pellet & crumble, with a cup or two of scratch, a few table scraps, meal worms for treats and whatever bugs/worms they can forage in the yard on weekends. I still feel I need to boost their nutrition to get them through their molt, keep them warm this winter, and encourage egg production (without adding artificial light) through the next couple of months. After reading the recipes for making my own feed, I think I'll try the Cascade Feed from Magill Ranch for now, and tackle my own mix in the summer. Until then, I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions as to what you all do to keep your flock healthy through the winter. I imagine they'll also need to be wormed, but I'm not finding a clear answer on how long to wait to eat eggs after using a medicinal wormer. Thank you for the input.......
    Cheers,
    Cetera

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your Miss CluckyButt. It is never easy to lose them. [​IMG] But it sounds like you have a handle on things and enjoying the addition of your new birds!

Most wormers have anywhere from a week to two week egg withdrawal. So if you are unsure of the egg withdrawal on the product you are going to use, go the two weeks. Which wormer are you going to use?

As for getting them through the winter and the molt, just make sure they are on a good diet and limit the treats. The winter days are short enough and they don't have a lot of time to eat enough as it is. So you don't want to fill them up on goodies when they should be eating their layer feed. I like to offer up cooked ground turkey or beef a few times a week during molting season. This high protein food really helps them get those amino acids from animal proteins that are not in most layer feeds and really helps with feather growth. Other than this, a nice no stress zone will really help them grow the feathers in fast and healthy.

Good luck with your flock! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

3. Miss CluckyButt

Jan 5, 2015
    Yamhill County, Oregon
    Thank you for your thoughts and input, TwoCrows. Unfortunately, I'm sure the integration of the two flocks will produce a little stress until the pecking order is established. I will keep a close eye for any bullying, but let them sort it out among themselves as long as everyone is getting to the feed and water and being allowed to roost.

So, if after worming with medication, you don't eat the eggs for a couple of weeks, is it o.k. to cook them up and recycle them to the chickens? Otherwise, are they wasted and thrown away?
    I hear using oregano and squash/pumpkin seeds may be anecdotal and not entirely proven as a sure-fire de-wormer (though nutritionally, fine, regardless). I'm not familiar enough with the medicinal worming choices, and I've not seen actual parasites in poop, but maybe some aren't so easy to see with the naked eye. Advice on a worming routine and product as a preventive measure is much appreciated!

4. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome! Hope you find this family as helpful as I do.

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. dragon30276

dragon30276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Senoia, GA
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. Welcome to the flock.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  10. Miss CluckyButt

Jan 5, 2015
    Yamhill County, Oregon
    Thanks. I know it's "only a chicken" to outsiders, and I certainly understand that there's hazards out there and losses, but it's still a bummer because it upsets the order of the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by