Cheer up Amykins! Members feel free to pile your own stuff here!!!!

1900 gallons of poopy water!
lau.gif
Cute Video,
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I love watching their little paddles underwater! <3 Also, was that dark one trying to mate with Tevye, or just picking on him? No one picks on my Tevye!
That is Greta, my Black Swedish. I only really noticed it about 6 months ago, but since then we have seen in videos going all the way back to the brooder, she doesn't like Tevye much. But the only ducks that ever pick on Tevye are Greta and Kaine (the obvious hormonal drake in the video). Tevye also inexplicably doesn't like Tella (one of my Rouen girls) and will peck her whenever she is in range. It is funny because Greta's sister (quite possibly literally since the Blue Swedish color comes from black and silver and doesn't breed true) Roxette is Tevye's #2 snuggle bug. (Rhiannon our WH is #1). If you pay attention, a flock this size is a real soap opera. The flock acts as a whole to all external stimuli, but within the flock there are alliances and rivalries. Some ducks are very set while others play up to who is around them.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great pool for them and I wish I could do something like that for mine!

-Kathy

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great pool for them and I wish I could do something like that for mine!

-Kathy
Not taken wrong at all, just I am going to document taking care of the pool in that other thread. I am lucky in two ways regarding the pool.

* I live in a cooler climate so whatever problems I do/don't have with algae will be less than in a warmer climate.

* Part of my property is a swamp that has poopy water as a foundation and periodically dumping 1900 gallons of poopy water into it won't even make a tiny dent in it's ecology. The water flows into the same system that has tens of thousands of wild ducks and geese (not just the ones in the fairgrounds pond), cranes, herons, pelicans, coots and seaguls pooping in it. My 13 ducks won't make a difference.
tongue.png
And in the area where I am dumping, there are tons of cattails eating up the nutrients.

That being said, I have a reliable well and a responsible dumping ground which feeds back into the aquifer so in a sense I am using a multi-acre duck-ponics filter that doesn't cost me anything.

Niiiiiiice <3 Hehe that really is ducky heaven! I love hearing about these squabbles, it's just too funny! I didn't think Tevye was capable of disliking anyone. Oh, well. Does he still do that thing where he steps on the gravel bowl?

No, he figured out pretty quickly that it didn't do anything... But just the fact that he tried...
lau.gif
A new development though is watching him swim... He has huge feet, almost as big a Snow's but he is long and narrow like a big runner. He relaxes and barely moves his feet and he flies around the pool twice as fast as any of the other ducks. It is really funny because on land, he is half the speed of all the other ducks because he places each footstep very purposefully. (He can run like crazy when Kaine is chasing him, that just isn't his stride). He moves just as slow in the water but is so much more efficient with his motion that he zips from place to place around the pool. (Obviously he can go crazy and dive and splash with the best of them).

@Amykins This is a repost from "1900 gallons of ducky bliss", but it has a beautiful Tevye "freak out". Since you are a fan and it is a happy/silly video, I thought you might enjoy if you didn't catch it there...

0.jpg
Weeeeeeeee - this is why I love ducks. Zooming around using their webs and just floating and mating of course. Loved the runners in the background on the ground walking by. Tevye needs KISSES.

Weeeeeeeee - this is why I love ducks. Zooming around using their webs and just floating and mating of course. Loved the runners in the background on the ground walking by. Tevye needs KISSES.
Thanks to my wife, Tevye is the most kissed duck in the universe... He has no worries there
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom