Cheese?

Brahmaman

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
Centennial Colorado
Is all dairy products including cheese good for chickens because every time I give them cheese they go crazy over it and it does not seem to hurt them at all but i only give them small amounts. Is to much cheese and other dairy products bad for them?

This is a great question . One I have been thinking of asking myself.
big_smile.png
.. At one of our local Farmer markets I met a nice family that owns and runs a creamery.... They also sell fresh eggs from their hens. They told me that the chickens eat a lot of their product extras:) Esp the goat cheeses and milks. Im told that Goat milk bases are great for chickens.....

Thanks for asking this Im interested to see what folks have to say :)

I have to say I researched this topic a lot as I keep and breed many kinds of birds as a hobby as well as my chickens. I found many books and people that would recommend feeding dairy products like milk, cheese and live yogurt (for good gut bacteria) to pet birds for extra protein and calcium.

I have fed my birds these things in the past with no ill effects. However, I have decided to stop!

I realised, while it is not harmful in the short term, it may be bad long term. This is because, birds have not evolved to eat dairy products - its a totally unnatural food for them to eat. Their bodies digestive tract is not designed, or capable, or digesting diary products properly.

Lactose is a sugar in diary products, and no birds have the enzymes to break it down and digest it. That's also why the beneficial bacteria in live yogurt is no use to the bird!

I would think a bird that is regularly fed dairy products will eventually get some ill effect on its digestion, such as is see in humans who are lactose intolerant - diarrhea, abdominal pain and lethargy.

It is also totally unnecessary to feed dairy products, as we can feed other foods to the birds for protein and calcium. Dairy produces has also a high risk of going bad if not eaten by the bird after an hour or to, and may develop harmful bacteria on them which will make the bird sick.

As long as they have access to a balanced feed, small amounts of treats, such as cheese, are fine. I've been giving them bits of cheese every now and then for years, with no ill effects. Two of my birds are now about 6 years old, and still healthy and producing eggs.

Last edited:
Chickens are omnivores and can eat just about anything. Farmers used to fatten their meat birds on buttermilk, and feeds often had milk products added to boost protein. People often feed yogurt in order to give hens essential probiotics. In the context of a healthy diet, where the bulk of the feed comes from laying hen pellets, and the hens get to forage and scratch around outside, a bit of cheese is perfectly fine for the hens. Mine particularly like cheese on leftover pizza :) I have some sensible feeding guidelines here: http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

I have to say I researched this topic a lot as I keep and breed many kinds of birds as a hobby as well as my chickens. I found many books and people that would recommend feeding dairy products like milk, cheese and live yogurt (for good gut bacteria) to pet birds for extra protein and calcium.

I have fed my birds these things in the past with no ill effects. However, I have decided to stop!

I realised, while it is not harmful in the short term, it may be bad long term. This is because, birds have not evolved to eat dairy products - its a totally unnatural food for them to eat. Their bodies digestive tract is not designed, or capable, or digesting diary products properly.

Lactose is a sugar in diary products, and no birds have the enzymes to break it down and digest it. That's also why the beneficial bacteria in live yogurt is no use to the bird!

I would think a bird that is regularly fed dairy products will eventually get some ill effect on its digestion, such as is see in humans who are lactose intolerant - diarrhea, abdominal pain and lethargy.

It is also totally unnecessary to feed dairy products, as we can feed other foods to the birds for protein and calcium. Dairy produces has also a high risk of going bad if not eaten by the bird after an hour or to, and may develop harmful bacteria on them which will make the bird sick.

Some of the above information I will agree with but what in in bold I have to disagree with, We can not compare the chickens diet and what they can or can not process in there digestive system with caged birds or any other fowl for that matter.

To say that chickens have, "no use" of the beneficial bacteria in dairy products is like saying that all animals (humans included) that have a Lactose Intolerance have no use for the beneficial bacteria in dairy products. The beneficial bacteria in milk can help absorb certain vitamins, enhance the immune system and aid with digestion even in lactose intolerant animals.

Also keep in mind that not all milk and lactose are the same and some animals can digest one type of milk easier than others..

Chris

my cousin has been feeding goat milk to her chickens for years. they love it and die of old age not from the milk. I give my girls yogert 3 times a week, and man are they happy sassy and egg producing girls.my eggs are strong .they love cheese, also

Back
Top Bottom