Cherry Egger ~ Roo or Pullet?

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
I got this one as a Pullet but over the last month have started to second guess that.
Supposed to be a Cherry Egger (RIR X New Hampshire) Approx. 3 months old. Seems to have really developed a lot over the last couple weeks compared to the others that are the same age... Opinions?

Here "He" is next to my RIR pullet ~ unsure of her age but she is a little taller

Here "he" is next to my Golden Laced Wyandotte Cross who is the same age.

Last edited:

buzymom13

I run the Alien Chicken Asylum
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
I'm not versed in "cherry eggers" so I am no expert by any means....but if the chicken is 3 months old... maybe it's just ready to start laying? I know that my girls got combs/wattles and red right before they layed and I was a bit nervous about a couple when it happened.

Just sayin"

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
Quote:Hum... never thought about that.... It does seem very "mature" for it's size compared to all the others. I didn't think they would start laying as young as 3 months. I was more prepared for about 5 - 6 months old. Maybe I should hold on to it for another month or two.

luvanimals2

Songster
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
I hope I am wrong but it looks like a roo to me.

I ordered 16 pullets from Ideal and ended up with 2 roos so I know the feeling.

Nancy

Pinky

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
South GA
Those shiny feathers scream rooster to me. My RIR rooster was difficult to tell when he was young. I thought he was a hen for the longest time until I introduced a hen. I knew for sure after that.

Top Bottom