cherry tomatoes-pie?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 3goodeggs, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    so...I realize I am the nut in the baked goods here, but have any of you made a sweet pie out of cherry tomatoes? I have some the size of big blue berries and my mind keeps wandering in that direction.
    but I don't want to waste the ingredients if it is awful... and it may not be possible.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Why make it sweet? Why not go salty, or basil-y like a quiche?

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That's what my husband says. But i do that- and call it quiche. I have had tomato jam and it is good, but it is cooked down. Tomatoes may be too watery. It might just not be a possibility. They are really sugary sweet and I guess that is why I keep wondering about pie.
    I am horrible at making pie crusts, so it would have to be store bought. they are $-ive.
    I will wait for someone else to wow me with theirs. My aunt makes a sweet vidalia onion pie that I have heard raves about. I guess that is where the idea came from.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have grown cherry tomatoes that were like eating candy, but they tang right up once you dry them out. I would be interested in your results.

You could try a graham cracker crust, rather than a dough one. They are only $.50 at the store. Way cheaper than the Pillsbury ones. $.50 isnt too bad for an experiment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by