Chia seeds ok?

Mekare

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
I have read some controversy about feeding chickens. What about chia? It has Omega 3, Omega 6 and protein. Anyone have experience with it or know anything about it?

Thanks! How much are you mixing in? How old are your chickens? Are you mixing it in dry or gelled? :) Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the chicken life.

As a side note... The US is experimenting with growing chia in AZ and KY primarily for the horse nutrition field. First harvest will be October of this year, with pre ordered deliveries in November. A 5 pound bucket is $45, free delivery from uschia.com

Personally, I find this pretty exciting!! I prefer to buy American when I can. I plan to order some for chicken feed and to see if I can plant and grow some myself.

Thanks! How much are you mixing in? How old are your chickens? Are you mixing it in dry or gelled? :) Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to the chicken life.
I probably put in about a pound per thirty pounds and that's dried. I haven't thought about giving it to them gelled..just never really had the time to commit to doing it that way.

As a side note... The US is experimenting with growing chia in AZ and KY primarily for the horse nutrition field. First harvest will be October of this year, with pre ordered deliveries in November. A 5 pound bucket is $45, free delivery from uschia.com

Personally, I find this pretty exciting!! I prefer to buy American when I can. I plan to order some for chicken feed and to see if I can plant and grow some myself.
Costco had a small bag of it for sale recently but I didn't buy it...I don't remember how much it cost.

Thanks everyone. My chicks are 4.5 and 6 weeks old. Can they have chia yet?

Back
Top Bottom