Chic found almost dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gmachicken, Apr 30, 2011.

1. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Our 3-4 day old chick was found in a crevice in the coop. Good lesson to check for such places.
    She was near dead.
    An Americana.
    I gave her a few drops of water. She is chirping a bit.
    Is this a futile effort?
    If not how do we give her food and when can she go back to her serrigate mom.
    How often?
    Thanks for the help.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

If she is cold, I use a hair dryer to heat the chicks back up - be careful not to burn her.

I would put her back as soon as she is able to get around ok.

3. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I am actually better at this age with them than with my own at 5 weeks. Keep it very hydrated. Do you have a syringe (cut sharp tip off)? If so, use 1 tsp. of sugar to a gallon of water and use the syringe to slowly force water it. Also, take the chick feed, mix with water, and blend it in a blender to a very soupy mix, and also use the syringe to force feed it. The hydration part is better at this point. Keep it warm with a brooder lamp. Heat, hydration, and then food is the key to save it. Hydrate it every 15 minutes, let it rest then, and try the food once an hour, a little at a time.

If no syringe, then get a small shallow bowl and carefully dip the tip ( the tip only) of it's beak in the water. Lean it's head back to make sure it can get it down.

Good luck!

4. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you for your help.
    She is up on her own now but not taking water by herself that we saw.
    Her eyes are wide open and peeping a lot, seems strong.
    So we may take her back out tonight.
    We'll see in a couple of hours.
    She's got a great Mama.

Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by